X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Alternator

My surf is a h reg 2.4 manual diesel with aircon
    Original alternator is the one with a (Vacum?)pump on the back of it
    My original intermitant fault was believed to be the alternator as not charging and all lights on dash came on intermitant at first then permanent.
    Got replacement off ebay stated off a 1990 surf when arrived slightly different multi plug and old alternator had a finned diode looking thing which mounted with 3 small screws to the brushes and had multi plug , ebay one did not have the finned diode looking thing, just multi plug straight from unit and plug was also slightly different.
    when refitted and engine started all lights on dash still on and alternator overcharging at around 18v
    Questions
    1. Are the two alternators compatible, as everything else matched.
    2. Could the lights be on due to a different fault
    3. Is 18 Volts alarming and should I run the vehicle as everthing else works except for the high volts and all the warning lights been on.
    4 Anyone got brush set for my original alternator and know what this other similar alternator is off
    5. I can see my old brush set is worn out as I have just bought alternator for £50 + post whats the most cost effective solution.
    Sorry the posts is so long but I do go on a bit ( and yes I do agree ebay is not the ideal method of purchase if you dont know what you need exactly.)
    Last edited by Anyboat; 2 April 2008, 10:38.

18V will cook the batteries. I can't help with differences between the alternators. There are so many variations. Perhaps the Ebay one had an external regulator which could explain the overcharging. There may have been a change to internal regulator from external around this period and you ended up with the older model.

Nev

Comment

Just checked the EPC and it seems that from 4/89 on should be internal regulator.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev for info

Yes I have figured 1990 in Aug my must be slightly newer and the older 1990 surf must have had the other type. Ebay description of 1990 alt was correct just my vague understanding of the model I have.

So now I need to replace the older brush set in my late version 1990 alternator the one fitted with what looks like a regulator. anyone know a good supplier or have a decent used one for sale????

Oh as for the 18v its more like 17.5 on the tester and if i run all my electrics whilst driving seems ok (ish!). I will limp on until I get a fix on the old unit

Comment

Working...
        X