2lt Recon Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2lt Recon Engine

PLEASE,PLEASE HELP. MY SURF HAS NOW BEEN OF THE ROAD FOR 6 WEEKS AFTER CRACKING THE HEAD AND THE BLOCK, OUCH!!!!!!!! I HAVE BOUGHT AND HAD FITTED A RECON ENGINE WHICH RUNS AS SWEET AS A NUT, BUT AFTER ABOUT 2 MINUTES THE WATER SYSTEM STARTS TO BUILD PRESSURE AND BLOW WATER OUT. WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING, GAS CHECKING THE WATER SYSTEM, NO EXHAUST GASES. THE ENGINE IS NOW RUNNING WITH JUST THE RAD AND WATER PUMP CONNECTED, ALL OTHER WATER SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN ISOLATED TO TRY AND ELIMINATE THEM AS THE CAUSE. STILL PRESSURIZING. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE IN SURF LAND HELP? THANKS YOU GUYS.

PLEASE DONT SHOUT! i know I'm a bit deaf but......

lets assume nothing at the start - right, go back to basics. you could have air in the system, air expands when heated, building pressure, pushing the water out, so you need to 'burp' the system.

basically, you run the engine from cold, with the rad cap off, and the heaters turned to hot (to ensure the whole system is circulating). when it get to temp, and the thermostat opens, water starts to circulate. you will get bubbles comming out, keep topping up with water, and keep going. every time an air lock clears, you will get a burp, and it will take more water.

or you have NO cooling taking place, the rad is blocked, the therm doesnt open, or the pump is knackered. Without cooling, the water heats up and boils. when water boils it expands 24fold - its a sealed system so the pressure builds, until the water is pushed out the system due to the pressure build up. engine replacement could lead to a mis-alignment of hoses, so do check the right ones go to the right places!

check those things first.

as you have tested for gases, sounds like the head is OK.... but dont take anything for granted!

I had a knackered rad, which leaked, letting air in. I was forever topping up. Replaced the rad with one from Roughtrax www.roughtrax4x4.com and i have not had a drip since.

good luck m8
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

2lt Recon Engine

Thanks for the tips.
      Any idea rufly how long burping could take? When we did the pressure/gas test we stopped when the pressure reached 20psi, could an airlock cause this much pressure?

Comment

burped mine for 20 mins.

dunno what kind of pressure could build up.

check that rad for flow and cooling.
        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by jag1709 View Post
          Thanks for the tips.
          Any idea rufly how long burping could take? When we did the pressure/gas test we stopped when the pressure reached 20psi, could an airlock cause this much pressure?
          The rad cap = 0.9 bar. 1 bar - 14.7psi. So your system should at the 12ish psi mark. Not 20 psi - that's way too high.

As stated, sounds like a blockage - maybe in the block (sorry) itself.

Get some heavy duty cleaner in there and see if you can clear it.

Get a hose pipe on the thermo housing (take the thermo out) and see if you can get a decent flow of water through the engine.
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
          X