Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advise??

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum. My name is Toby and I am finally owner again of a surf.
    I drove the hilux pickup in Australia and then since I left in 2005 not had another hilux, but a few days ago have bought a 1993 (K) Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4TD SSR-X lovely. Now then I hav a few little problems i think so cud do with some advice.

I have a slight rattle/knocking in the engine when I accelerate.
    I have changed the oil and filter as she was very low on oil and the oil looked very old.
    Also I hav added a bit of wynns treatment for rattling bits.
    Does anyone know what the rattle is and if it is serious???
    I am gonna get the engine re-build but I need some cashflow first :P and jst wanna know if I am not gonna break down.

Then the second thing is when i put it in 4x4 for some reason it locks up when slow turning or something...
    does it just need a good grease???

oh yeah and does anyone know a club near me? (Weston Village, Runcorn)
    or wanna start a new club :P

well then sorry for the long thread...
    any help is more than welcome.
    Cheers

Toby Jug
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TobyJug; 19 March 2008, 11:07.
    One day at the time I guess..

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
    Hello everyone,

Then the second thing is when i put it in 4x4 for some reason it locks up when slow turning or something...
    does it just need a good grease???
    Don't put it in 4 wheel drive unless on a slippy surface or you will wind up the axle when you turn a corner..never do it on tarmack

Comment

Hey Tobyjug, welcome to the forum (and the UK).

OK, firstly, the rattle. All diesels rattle a bit, especially at low rpm's. If it's just a little rattle, it's probably nothing. If you're worried you might be best taking it to a mechanic and having them give it the once over.

As to 4wd, unless you are on a loose surface, DO NOT ENGAGE 4WD. The 2nd gen Surf has a locked centre diff, so if the wheels are unable to slip then you risk diff wind-up which will eventually lead to an expensive bang.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

great

thanks guys that is good to know.... lol
        oops...
        I will only use it in 4x4 on the grass or mud then hehe
        I really did not know that...

I will get it in the garage on sunday anyway to give it a good grease over and stuff.

I will just ignore the rattle for now it sounds like tapets.
        Just turn up the music :P
        Will get another engine soon anyway for a full re-con and then when it's done fit it in.

oh yeah anyone know anything about a club round here?
        Wud be nice to meet some other surfers....

P.S
        been in the UK for 2.5 years now... am from Holland but lived in Aussie for a few years. Was a 4x4 tour guide/ bus driver there on a modded 25 seater 4x4 mitsubishi canter throught the Kimberly's.....whoo good fun lol

anyway thanks for your help...

cheers Toby Jug

Comment

oh yeah anyone know anything about a club round here?
          Wud be nice to meet some other surfers....
          Dunno about a club, but there is a bunch of us from the NW meeting up at Briercliffe in a couple of weeks. See here for details, and get your name down.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

nice

Hey Slugsie

that looks good I am gonna check if I can that day...
            if free I will deffo be there...

Just got to put my CB and Amateur radio's back in before then... lol

also looks like I am gonna need a hurry with my suspention and body lift :P

I'll be there if I am free that is for sure..
            I will hav a look at their website..

Comment

Hope you can make it along, always good to meet new Surfers.

Most of us don't have CB equipment, so no need to rush fitting that. We use had-held PMR sets for car to car comms. If you have one, bring it along, but we usually have a couple spare between us.

Also, don't worry too much about lifts. They don't do much to improve ground clearance which is what is important. If you can get a good set of mud tyres on that'll be more useful.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

bugger

Bugger I just sold a set of pmr radio's

a well I will get a new one lol.
                Well mud tires it is then. Mine are not to bad but will get a decent set soon.
                Yeah be good if I can make it, I'll see if my m8 can come too with his Landcruiser.

Just spoke to the missus and she is keen to go too lol

Tell me something if I become a paid member here does that mean I get some nice stickers to show off the forum?

Otherwise I will make some myself lol as I hav a little print & design company so stickers cost me peanuts

Comment

Tell me something if I become a paid member here does that mean I get some nice stickers to show off the forum?
                  Yep. And you don't get Yoshie harassing you.

Comment

Hi mate, and welcome. I've seen a few Surfs over Warrington way, and pass through Runcorn now and again so keep an eye out for this...

Regarding clubs, just keep your eye on the 'offroad trips' part of this site and put your name down for a few trips. There's often something going on in Wales which isn't that far for you to go.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

nice

Nice wheels mate,

i am sure I will recognise that truck when I see it drive past!
                      Will keep an eye out..

It's just that my insurance wants me to be a 4x4 club member as I got another 15% discount for that :P

or u recon it will be enought to be a paid member here?

Comment

Hi all

New here myself and wanted to reply regarding the rattle.

I bought a 1993 2.4td from ebay in jan and it had a rather loud diesel knock. Turned out I had one odd injector, very strange. Set of secondhand injectors sorted that but then another rattle developed. This time it was the crank pulley. The bolt had worked loose allowing the pulley to move forward which let the woodruff key fall out and cracked the pulley casing in doing so.

As nearly all surfs have had a head replaced, and therefore the timing belt usually, at some point by people with varying degrees of mechanical expertise, for the time it takes I'd definately check tighten the crank pulley bolt.

Good luck and all the best

Comment

found it....

hey...

I found out a couple days ago that it was the front injector that was causing the rattle..
                          The middle part was loose. Trying to tighten it I saw that the seal was broken...bugger
                          We noticed that the other three looked new but this one was left.
                          so the pipe is stuck in the injector.

But all good will go Stevo or dieselbob 2mo and get a new injector and pipe and fix it.

Toby

Comment

Working...
                          X