fuel pump set timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump set timing

hi all. i'm new to the world of surf's, but had a lucky escape on sunday. while driving home a strange rattle/vibration started coming from the engine at low revs. stopped and checked, nothing!! so did the only thing i could think off! booted it all the way home(4miles).this morning checked heat shields,exhaust etc. finally found it,fuel pump was loose,1 nut missing, 1 loose.the missing 1 was the 1 between the pump and block, a real joy to replace.the engine is running ok (possibly pinking under load). 2 questions. 1:if i have to set pump timing, how?? 2: how do i slacken and tighten that fu**ing nut and retain some skin on my knuckles? cheers

If it's the one at the rear i useed a 3/8 drive with two extension bars and a uj

i would consider changing the cam belt if things have been loose and also check the cam tensioners

As for timing marks there are two little lines on the side

off to find the link on the aus site

cambelt..........

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/timingbelt.htm

Timing marks are in here

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelpump.htm
    Last edited by BioHazard; 18 March 2008, 01:15.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

fuel pump

thank's for the advice and links.i'll get some 3/8 gear and try that.

Comment

Check to see if you have got a bracket at the rear of the pump. If not then this may be the reason it vibrated loose. Could be dodgy work by a previous dodgy mechanic and he left it off. If the pnmp was loose enough the T/Belt may have jumped a tooth or two so I also suggest you consider replacing this along with the tensioner, idler and seals.

Nev

Comment

heee hee

Guess what when i refiited my pump after a couple of weeks I found this bracket and 3 bolts left in my toolbox took me ages to remember where it came from. As Nev says pump is very heavy and the 3 bolts alone wont be enough. There should be a bracket on the rear of the pump, also there will be a line marked on the pump to align to the block which you should easliy see if you remove nearside wheel and peer through the arch.

Steve
          Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Working...
          X