How to fitt bottom radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fitt bottom radiator

I took off the bottom guard tray and collected about full Tesco's bag of mud. It was as hard as brick it must have been there for a while, I bout the car 2 weeks ago...

I have noticed the bottom radiator is not connected to the steel beam above it. It looks like it was held only by the hoses and the mud on the guard tray. (See pics)

Is it supposed to be connected? If yes is it just a case of getting 2 12mm bolts from B&Q and screwing them to the beam through the radiator's ears, or I need to get some rubber washers and create something like a vibration damper?
    Attached Files

it should be bolted on - there were no rubber washers on mine, so direct to the rails.

its the air-con rad by the way, so make sure you clean the fans, and then test them before bolt it in. if you remove it, then you will need to change the o rings, and get the system re-gassed. to be done properly, they should suck all the air out then re-gas, but be aware it could be an expensive job that is pointless if you have any leaks.

i binned mine as it was a sieve! much easier to work on my engine now as i removed all the air con gubbins inc comproessor etc.
    Last edited by legendgamesmaster; 16 March 2008, 14:18. Reason: its the air con rad - dont remove the hoses!
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
      its the air-con rad by the way, so make sure you clean the fans, and then test them before bolt it in. if you remove it, then you will need to change the o rings, and get the system re-gassed. to be done properly, they should suck all the air out then re-gas, but be aware it could be an expensive job that is pointless if you have any leaks.
      Is it possible to clean the fans without removing the rad? I don't want to mess around with regassing, possible leaks and so on...

The rad was 50% plastered with an inch thick leyar of mud - it looks like the Air Con was not looked after by the previous owner.

Comment

Get a garden hose and let it run water over the rad for a while so it softens the mud and then try and blow the mud away with a low pressure air line if you have one . Do not jet wash the rad as you will bend and tear the fins and it will be fubbared.
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Predictable Bob had a neat idea to help deal with the rad without removing it
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I read the thread and I think it is about the cooler rad. I'm trying to clean the aircon rad and fans without removing it. I sprayed it with the garden hose and cleaned it with a brush (plastic one not wire) but I have no access to the fans. Can I get away with some trick you wize guys have done, or removing the rad is the only option?

Comment

Could you remove the front grill and get at the fans that way ?

Otherwise I think you will have to contemplate red removal, but if we are talking aircon you will incur the following:

a) a slap on the wrist for venting the gas to the air
              b) a bill for recharging said aircon
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

is it not possible to drop the back end of the rad down far enough to take the fans off or at least get a better look at them, the electrical connections can be unplugged, it's just the two flexi pipes (one each side) that you don't wanna disturb. Just support the front so it's not hangin on the pipes.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                  is it not possible to drop the back end of the rad down far enough to take the fans off or at least get a better look at them, the electrical connections can be unplugged, it's just the two flexi pipes (one each side) that you don't wanna disturb. Just support the front so it's not hangin on the pipes.
                  yeah you can - the pipes are tough so I wouldnt worry about letting it dangle for a bit.
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                  X