Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish power - ecu codes 12 & 13

Hello all,

I've recently bought a Surf SSR-X 2.4TD Manual 1993, and have got a couple of problems I am hoping someone here will be able to help with.

1. I have the engine management light on.
    2. The turbo light does not come on during boost, I can hear the turbo whistling though.

With this the truck is lacking power especially up hill!!!
    Also, the engine is very noisy, terrible when cold?!? (is this normal?)

I have had a full service done on the truck and the mechanic suggested that it might be the turbo pressure sensor?!?
    Having read many posts on this forum, I decided that it must be the pressure sensor and have bought a new one!! (expensive!)
    But, whilst I do think this has improved performance slightly, it certainly has not fixed the problems.

I still have the ECU light on and the turbo light does not come on during boost!!

I have read the codes stored in the ECU and come up with 12 and 13...

On some of the posts I have read here, this means "knock Sensor" or "Timer control valve"

Please can anyone confirm which problem it is for my truck and what this means in english?!? Am I looking at big repair bills etc...

Basically, any help would be much appreciated....

Many thanks in advance.

ECU Codes:

12 - Timer control valve (Pump) - I think this is terminal, need to replace pump.
    13 - Crank position sensor - Pretty self explanitory

No boost tends to be vacuum hoses not connected or connected wrongly.

A grown up will be along soon to help out more.
    --
    Andy
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Cheers, Andy,

I was worried that it may mean the Fuel Pump is knackered...

The turbo is boosting, and when it does you can feel it in the performance of the truck, just doesn't seem right, not enough power!!

I have done all the sanity checks possible, ie, all hoses etc are connected... don't know if there is anything else I could check / test to rule out anything else prior to parting with money on the Fuel Pump....

Does anyone know why in some fault code listings an error 12 reads as "Knock Sensor" and in others it reads as "Timer Control Valve" ??? Are these different codes for different engines?

Cheers,
      Ben.

Comment

sounds like my truck

hi there ...... would really like to follow this as it sounds the same probs as im having with mine.
        Dont know if it helps or if you have already read these but here are the links to the pages that i found quite helpful when the guru's got back to my posts.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ighlight=wiggy

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ighlight=wiggy

Im still havin the same problems even tho replacing all the belts & givin her a good service..... cant remember where but someone had said about the turbo sensor which you have already done & maybe the TPS throttle positioning sensor maybe not working (there is a way to check it with a multimeter i found in the forum & can look it out for you if you like).

Also if you dont mind me askin how much was the Turbo sensor & cost for a new pump as there is a good parts place down here where i got a new timing cover for £20 ish if thats any help.

best of luck
        The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

also might be helpful

Also might be helpful
          http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/vie...ds.php?dcid=14

if you are doin stuff yourself

Comment

Petrol engines have a knock sensor, diesels do not. TCV fault can be caused by incorrect T/B timing. Has the T/B been changed or checked recently. Crank Sensor is in the block just to the rear of pump outlet piopes and may just be a loose connection or damaged wiring. Turbo sensor can be tested by applying a few PSI to the hose connection on it, turn ignition on and light should come on.

Nev

Comment

cheers

cheers nev
              was goin to have a look again this week & try to have a look at the crank position sensor but i dont know where to look!!! also with regard to the deisel pump is there a way to check it before i go to the expense of takin it to a garage?

Comment

Working...
              X