Whats this 2.4 head thing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats this 2.4 head thing???

Hi freinds... I have just bought a 1992 2.4 surf and all is well......for the moment. I have been reading an awful lot about head problems with the 2.4's . Exactly how common a problem is this?? Is it almost inevitable that I will suffer this fate? I got quite a good deal so I am considering selling it and getting a 3.0 instead. Please advise as I'm a bit worried......

We've only had our 2.4 Surf a few weeks and, like you, only started reading horror stories after purchase. I'm not the best authority but it seems there was a design fault on the head gasket on certain models. Recall notices were posted and hopefully yours will have been sorted before exported. I don't think anyone has found a way of checking if they were done but there are certain measures you can take to prevent it happening. I won't recite it all here but if you look in the technical stuff, there is loads of info from people better informed than me. There is also a poll that currently shows 75% of people have not had head probs. For only one (albeit major) possible fault, it is far outweighed by all the good things about this vehicle.

Happy motoring, whatever your decision
    H
    PS. Welcome to the mad house......
    Last edited by Helen; 16 March 2004, 21:12. Reason: PS..
    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Thanks Helen

Thanks for the reply Helen. My surf was only recently imported so it may well have been in the recall family and sorted. Fingers crossed

Comment

There's a thread in here somewhere that links to a list of those models affected. Ours is on the list but as it only came in about 9 months ago I'm also hoping it's been done. Have a search, there's loads on here to help....

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm

found it....
        Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

My advice would be start saving now just in case!
          I wish i had!! just empty'd two grand into mine so far, and i only bought it in Dec!! Just make sure you keep a good eye on the coolant level at least once a week and every now and then squeeze the top hose on the radiator to make sure there is no pressure build up.....!!
          If you change the coolant for any reason make sure you fully bleed the system, I am convinced thats where my problem started
          I do hope you are one of many who will not have to go through the head ache as I have ( no pun intended )
          People keep telling me to burn it and collect.. not a chance! the surf is one of a kind!
          Oh as things go the 3.0 has zero problems so i'm told!

Enjoy

G
          Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
            My advice would be start saving now just in case!
            I wish i had!! just empty'd two grand into mine so far, and i only bought it in Dec!! Just make sure you keep a good eye on the coolant level at least once a week and every now and then squeeze the top hose on the radiator to make sure there is no pressure build up.....!!
            If you change the coolant for any reason make sure you fully bleed the system, I am convinced thats where my problem started
            I do hope you are one of many who will not have to go through the head ache as I have ( no pun intended )
            People keep telling me to burn it and collect.. not a chance! the surf is one of a kind!
            Oh as things go the 3.0 has zero problems so i'm told!

Enjoy

G
            The 3 Litre does have it's problems.This applies more to the Autos.This will make interesting reading.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195

Neville

Comment

Do the sensible things

I have a K reg Surf, bought it privately from Japan, no warranty etc. I drove it for 2 months without looking under the bonnet.

I then changed the oil, filter, air filter.

Drove it another 2 months.

Replaced the fuel filter and gave it the redex treatment.

Drove it another 2 months. Including a virtually non-stop 1000 mile trip to France and back at motorway speeds.

Chucked in Speedflush. The heaters worked brilliantly after 3 days, but it also found a leak in the water pump.

I have done 5000 miles in 8 months, a lot of it in the thick of Bristols rush hour traffic every day. It has been ace.

This week I have let a garage have it, and just told them to check it all out. What did they do? Just replaced the water pump and cam belts. Nothing else was a problem. The belts didn't need doing, but as the cover was off for the pump then it was convenient.

Just flusg that system and cure the leaks. A lack of cooling will kill any head, not just a Surf's.

To anyone thinking of buying a 2.4 all I can say is that as long as you do the sensible things (and I abused mine), you will have an awful lot of car for very little money. Take a look at what a Chrysler Jeep, Shogun, or any other 4x4 will cost you and you will see that even if you have to shell out £5k for the Surf plus any repairs, you have still got a bargain. They look better than anything else, they are comfy, easy to drive, they handle, and they are cavernous. Bargain!!

Cheers

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                I have a K reg Surf, bought it privately from Japan, no warranty etc. I drove it for 2 months without looking under the bonnet.

I then changed the oil, filter, air filter.

Drove it another 2 months.

Replaced the fuel filter and gave it the redex treatment.

Drove it another 2 months. Including a virtually non-stop 1000 mile trip to France and back at motorway speeds.

Chucked in Speedflush. The heaters worked brilliantly after 3 days, but it also found a leak in the water pump.

I have done 5000 miles in 8 months, a lot of it in the thick of Bristols rush hour traffic every day. It has been ace.

This week I have let a garage have it, and just told them to check it all out. What did they do? Just replaced the water pump and cam belts. Nothing else was a problem. The belts didn't need doing, but as the cover was off for the pump then it was convenient.

Just flusg that system and cure the leaks. A lack of cooling will kill any head, not just a Surf's.

To anyone thinking of buying a 2.4 all I can say is that as long as you do the sensible things (and I abused mine), you will have an awful lot of car for very little money. Take a look at what a Chrysler Jeep, Shogun, or any other 4x4 will cost you and you will see that even if you have to shell out £5k for the Surf plus any repairs, you have still got a bargain. They look better than anything else, they are comfy, easy to drive, they handle, and they are cavernous. Bargain!!

Cheers

Rob
                here here! ive had my 2.4 for 12 months now & ive done nearly 20,000 miles ive looked after read advice on servicing etc & its fine. i did my own radflush with the hose. i had it on for about 45 mins lots of dirty brown sludge now its a nice clean green colour. if you are not sure of flushing etc ask someone on here that is local & has done it for help as some garages might not bleed it properly once the air is out you'll be fine
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  here here! ive had my 2.4 for 12 months now & ive done nearly 20,000 miles ive looked after read advice on servicing etc & its fine. i did my own radflush with the hose. i had it on for about 45 mins lots of dirty brown sludge now its a nice clean green colour. if you are not sure of flushing etc ask someone on here that is local & has done it for help as some garages might not bleed it properly once the air is out you'll be fine

Agree with everything thats been said. I`ve had the head problems and endured the grief that comes with it but the old girl is now the dogs b*****ks and I wouldn`t part with her for anything ( accept another Surf).

Tich

Comment

2.4 head trouble

I bought a 78000km ssrx on 13 february
                    I have driven 4000 km with no problems, until I stopped in france on my way to Spain for a coffee break last week. water pouring out of the overflow in the expansion bottle. Toyota confirmed that the head is cracked, costing a mere 2400 quid. Not impressed by this otherwise fantastic car.
                    There is a lot of this about it seems, and is perhaps inevitable unless half your time is spent maintaining it.
                    am getting rid asap, and I suggest you do the same. Needless to say I am presently in negociation with the dealer.

This has already cost me plenty...

Comment

Sorry That was a bit negative.

If a repair will fix the problem for good, then the car is awesome. It was just a shame that I bought the car to rely on getting me to Spain, so no wonder I'm a bit narked as it went when it did. I did 1500km in the first 1 week I got it, just to make sure all was AOK.

Good luck with those other 2.4s out there.

Comment

Hi guys....

I have heard about this head Cracking, is it just down to the head gasket? or are there other gremlins in the system??

Comment

Originally posted by 2.4 Hilux....
                          Hi guys....

I have heard about this head Cracking, is it just down to the head gasket? or are there other gremlins in the system??
                          You could replace the gasket....but some 2.4 heads do have a design flaw.
                          Yours may have already been replaced as some were recalled in Japan .It may one of the ones that do not need doing ,or it may be ok anyway.
                          It's always best to do a VERY thorough flush & replace the coolant 'cos' the Jap stuff is crap. Make sure it is not airlocked when you are finished.
                          The radiators sometimes leak from the top seal.
                          A recent poll showed only 20% of 2.4 owners have had their head replaced .This is a significant amount..but still puts the odds in your favour .
                          Unfortunately if it goes, it could go in the 1st week.....or mine went after 2 years of trouble free motoring.
                          If you do need to get it done ...bite the bullet & enjoy your surf with renewed confidence.
                          Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                            A recent poll showed only 20% of 2.4 owners have had their head replaced .This is a significant amount..but still puts the odds in your favour .
                            Unfortunately if it goes, it could go in the 1st week.....or mine went after 2 years of trouble free motoring.
                            If you do need to get it done ...bite the bullet & enjoy your surf with renewed confidence.
                            Whilst mine has now given me 3.500 kms of trouble free motoring!since I got it 6 weeks ago, and genuinely seems sound, apart from having to replace a leaking hose,I am paraniod the head WILL go at any time and it really does spoil the fun of driving this thing? (especially when the chap I bought it off said he didnt know much about mechanics yet seems to be buying various motors including surfs and "doing them up???)
                            so my question is if mine goes (head that is) who did yours? was it a local company ie north east with the obvious experience of head replacement and all it entails coolant wise? the dealer who changed my cam belt at a reasonable cost said he had never changed a head? mind you it looks like the models he imports and sells on are 99% 3 litre jobs.
                            cheers Keith

Comment

Originally posted by monkey hanger
                              Whilst mine has now given me 3.500 kms of trouble free motoring!since I got it 6 weeks ago, and genuinely seems sound, apart from having to replace a leaking hose,I am paraniod the head WILL go at any time and it really does spoil the fun of driving this thing? (especially when the chap I bought it off said he didnt know much about mechanics yet seems to be buying various motors including surfs and "doing them up???)
                              so my question is if mine goes (head that is) who did yours? was it a local company ie north east with the obvious experience of head replacement and all it entails coolant wise? the dealer who changed my cam belt at a reasonable cost said he had never changed a head? mind you it looks like the models he imports and sells on are 99% 3 litre jobs.
                              cheers Keith
                              I did mine my self, if you are not mechanically minded I would always suggest you source the head yourself and get someone to fit it. You will probably pick up the head cheaper than the garage will charge for supplying one.
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X