Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator cap leaking ? yes the new one too

Hi All,

Have been running my surf for the last week or so since doing the head. (stevo one)

I've been losing about a cup of water after each 30 mile journey to work, and back.

Noticed that it was leaking from the rad cap (new from roughtrax), but only a couple of mins after I switched off engine.

Replaced with another new one and its doing the same.

When I put the cap on I press down, turn clockwise slightly and let go. This makes it fit in the cutout bit,but seems a bit loose / wobbly.

Now on Tues night I burped the system really well and instead of just putting the cap on as above, I turned it as far clockwise as it would go which locked it down tightly. Lost nothing at all on the way to work. Problem solved......

Coming home I stop to post something and coming back theres a small puddle of water. Open bonnet and its a slight leak from the short heater pipe near the thermostat housing - the hose that goes from a big pipe to a smaller one. Needed a little water to top up but not much.( not even a cup)

Now I'm thinking/hoping that I've got the cap on properly now and so the system pressure is correct, just pipes are worn. Have ordered the pipe kit from roughtrax that does most of the cooling pipes. I have new rad pipes fitted, also new rad, new water pump and new toyota thermostat.

Heaters work all the time and temp gauge doesn't move from middle - am fitting aftermarket gauge this weekend though, hopefully with new pipes if they arrive.

My main question is why is the water escaping from the rad cap and not going down to the expansion bottle ? Also was the rad cap fitted properly when leaking and it's more likely to be an expansion tank problem.? Am about to source one to replace just in case, but there are no blockages in it.

Any ideas ? I really want to get to the point where I'm not worried about the coolant as I'm really enjoying driving the surf after having it in pieces for a year.

Cheers,
    Rob.

Rad caps have two positions. First, when screwing off, allows pressure release without removing the cap, second releases the cap. Make sure when screwing on that it goes as far clockwise, while pressing down, as you can turn it. Some caps are quite tight.

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev thats answered one big question for me.

Now just got to start getting them hoses changed.

Cheers,

Rob.

Comment

Working...
      X