X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brakes - Help!

Hi all,

Can someone help me?

I noticed a rubbing sound coming from the rear of my 2.4 93 surf which sounded like one of the rear drum brakes was binding.

I went ahead and removed both rear wheels and then tried removing the drum. That's where it got interesting (if you find that sort of thing interesting, personally I found it a pain in the arse myself). The passenger rear came off quite easily but the driver side wouldn't budge.

I left it for a while until I could dedicate some real time to it which I had this weekend.

So I removed both wheels and this time I managed to get the driver side drum off! Problem is I didn't fully understand how it all worked (I know...).

I did a bit of fiddling around and then found I couldn't get the drum back on. Now that I've done a bit more homework I think that was because the self adjuster was open too far and was pushing the shoes out too far.

Not knowing that I could have simply unscrewed the adjuster, allowing the shoes to return and therefore allowing the drum to fit back on without any problem. Instead I went ahead and forced the drum back on (I know, it was a long day fiddling about and I could shoot myself now!).

Long story short, I can't get the drum back off. After reading pages of advice I thought I could remove the rubber bung at the back of the wheel, use a screw driver to push the return spring thing off of the adjuster cog (not sure if that's what it's called) and then unscrew the cog releasing the shoes and hey presto the drum should be freed up.

Problem is I can't do it. I have tried for hours to fit 2 screw drivers into that small hole. I get as far as releasing the adjuster cog but I can't turn the adjuster cog.

Does anyone know much about these self-adjusting drum brakes and if so what should I be trying next?

Thanks in advanced, any help would be very very welcome.

Sounds like you could do with new drums or at least get the lip that has formed on the inner rim machined, preventing easy removal/re-fitting on the drum.
    Try giving the drum a few taps with a hammer all the way around and see if that centres the shoes, if not you'll have to carry on fiddling with the adjuster through the little hole.
    Just checking, but is the handbrake fully released?

Comment

When I took mine off to check the rear shoes, I had to give the drums a propper good spanking ( technical term often used by mechanics) with a hide/rubber mallet before they'd loosen up enough to get them off, and even then it wasn't easy.

I probably will get a new set of drums before the 2009 exp. as they're not too expensive, and you have to realise that these vehicles are 15 years old plus, so you gotta expect to be replacing some of the hardware from time to time.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=140

Drums £37.00+vat each.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

In addition........

You could loosen the handbrake cable and see if that helps getting the drum off.
        See the 3rd photo down in this link...

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wheelbearings.htm

Comment

I have already taken off the drum once before and had a look at it. At that point I didn't really know what was going on with the whole assembly and forced the drum back on once I had fiddled with the adjuster.

My question is I guess, how do you get a drum off a very very stuck brake binding drum?

Comment

rear brake drum removal

Hi, if you look at the face of the drum there are two holes in between the wheel studs, These are threaded, cant remember exactly what size probably 6 or 8 mm, the bolts need to be about 40mm long, simply tighten these in eaqually to push off the inner flange until the drum comes off. It does work if you get the correct bolts as I have done the same to mine when manually adjusting the automatic adjusters. just a word of warning regarding hitting the drums with a hammer, it can cause cracking of the drums with possible disasterous results if it breaks up in use. Good luck new surf.
            IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your comments, all were very useful although none worked because the drum was forced back on.

I did try using the bolt holes but both bolts lost their threats after a while and then also got stuck.

Eventually I resorted to putting a FGB chain between the now stuck bolts and placed a 4 ton bottle jack between the chain and the centre of the wheel. It gave the jack a scare but it worked.

Ended up breaking the shoe holding springs etc but next day delivery from Rough Trax I had them replaced for £20.

Surfs up dudes.

Last question I need answered.

I undid the adjuster so that the drums fit back on easily. Am I correct in thinking that the adjusters will adjust after using the handbrake over and over?

Comment

Send Koi £15 and we'll tell you.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Think I've already answered my own question!

But Koi is that the Kent off road group?

Comment

Nope, Koi is the co-owner of this forum, the £15 is for a subscription. You get a nice wee blue star, just like mine
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ahhh I see

I'd be stupid not to spend £15 for the amount of help available here!

Consider it done at the end of the month

Comment

I have had the same problems with the drum-brake. If you cannot get the two screwdrivers into the litte hole on the back of the drum-plate, just unscrew the four nuts, and remove the back-axel (remember to drain the oil). Now it is so easy to loosen the self-adjusting device on a table. When you have removed the drum, grind away the edge on the inside of the drum. This edge is the reason, why you cannot get the drum apart.
                        And yes, you are right. When you have put everything together again, just pump the handbrake until the adjusting-device has adjusted the brakepads to the right position. It can take a while.

Hope this will help you.

Comment

Working...
                        X