2.4 Surf newbie with some problems,HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Surf newbie with some problems,HELP

Hey all,Im new here.Im Pat and Im from Dublin,Ireland.

Im a complete newbie to the world of 4x4,s and jeeps so excuse my lack of knowladge.I just bought a 1991 Hilux Surf yesterday.I bought it for towing my race car and trailer and also for the odd fishing weekend with my girlfriend and daughter.

I have a few problem with the Hilux though and hope that some of you can help me out and advise me on solutions.

The jeep is a Jap Import 2.4 Turbo diesel and its an automatic.It has 144,000 miles on it.And its SLOW as feck.It seems to accelerate slow,but then she revs up when I try to accelerate,but it wont really accelerate,only if I back off the throttle a bit does she start to pick up speed,but slowly.Even on a slight uphill road,shes SLOW and she struggles to keep speed,actually she looses it instead.The green turbo light seems to come on and then it stays on for a bit after throttle is closed,but then it wont come on when I accelerate again.So something isnt right somewhere.

Could it be a turbo actuator problem or a fuel or throttle problem?

Anyway,here she is.

1st,can you tell me what the red button by the gear shifter in the pic below does and what the black switch is for.Is it something to do with steering?

2nd,what is this red toggle style switch for?Its just below the steering column and near the bonnet release.

3rd,the jeep seems to be very very slow I have read on other threads about some throttle position sensor,an EGR valve thing and a fuel pump screw and its settings that can be changed to give more power and acceleration.Can someone show me in this pic where this EGR thing and TPS is and what might be the problem with my oh so SLOW Surf.
    Last edited by pjd30; 13 February 2008, 19:21.

Check for any leaks in the pipe from the turbo to the manifould, sounds like loss of boost pressure, will it come on again after a while of hard throttle?
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner View Post
      Check for any leaks in the pipe from the turbo to the manifould, sounds like loss of boost pressure, will it come on again after a while of hard throttle?
      Yes,sitting at 45-50mph and I put my foot down,and all that happens is the revs rise and she revs up for 15 seconds or so,and then maybe she starts to pick up speed and accelerate.It seems to have a mind of its own and decides when it will boost and when it will give me power.It even does this when I accelarate away from a stop,it will pick up speed,but very very slowly.

I also lose power and speed if I try to accelerate up a slight hill/slope on the road.

Comment

So anyone wanna tell me what the different switches are for and also any solutions to my revs but lack of power/acceleration problem?

Thanks.

Comment

the red switch by the bonnet release is probably for rear fog light or fronts if they were fitted.
          the button by the gear selector is so you can move the gear selector without the engine on
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            the red switch by the bonnet release is probably for rear fog light or fronts if they were fitted.
            the button by the gear selector is so you can move the gear selector without the engine on
            Thanks for that,there is a folding rear square shaped fog light fitted just under the rear bumper.

Comment

And the black switch is the ECT switch. Press 'power' and it will hold on to gears a bit longer to give you a more 'sporty' drive. Not until you've sorted out whatever's wrong though. When were the filters last changed?

Comment

just curious have you got the O/D on or and the ect on

Comment

Firstly, check the level and condition of the transmission fluid, it should be a blood red colour, not brown or burnt smelling.
                  Second, check the little rubber pipe circled in green in the photo is connected.

Thirdly, the turbo pressure sensor may be buggered, circled in yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    And the black switch is the ECT switch. Press 'power' and it will hold on to gears a bit longer to give you a more 'sporty' drive. Not until you've sorted out whatever's wrong though. When were the filters last changed?
                    Thanks for that,and I just checked out the switch under the steering column and it is indeed for the rear fog light.

The previous owner had the head and head gasket redone 2000 kilometers ago and he says that timing belt,and new battery.I dont know about filters and fuel pumps and stuff like that.The rad hose burst and it in turn did the head gasket so all that was redone by the previous owner.

Could lack of power and acceleration be due to the EGR valve or the Throttle Position Sensor not being right.I have looked through the forum and seem to see these 2 problems being very common to lack of power.I have no black smoke and dhe idels at about 800 rpm.She drives well and smoothly,just that when i go to accelerate,there seem to be no ooomph or decent acceleration.Its SLOW and LAZY.

Takes absolutely ages to get to 60mph and then when i go do accelerate it goes a bit funny and seems to rev up but with no real power/pull at all.
                    Last edited by pjd30; 13 February 2008, 22:16.

Comment

just curious have you got the O/D on or and the ect on
                      Whats that then and what switch would it be?Remember,Im a complete newbie to the world of Jeeps/4x4,s and only getting my bearings now with regards the Hilux.Still having to remember that theres no clutch.Girlfriend says that I can chop my left leg off and sell if for medical research.She thought that was being smart and funny,then when she drove the Hilux and she nearly cleaned the driveway wall out of it when parking it up.
                      Last edited by pjd30; 13 February 2008, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Firstly, check the level and condition of the transmission fluid, it should be a blood red colour, not brown or burnt smelling.
                        Second, check the little rubber pipe circled in green in the photo is connected.

Thirdly, the turbo pressure sensor may be buggered, circled in yellow.
                        Thanks mate,I will have a look at that.Could I get a replacement turbo pressure sensor from a Motor Factors and would it be an expensive part.

I presume that i simply take off the old one and fir the new one on.Do I need to do any sort of reset like dissconnect the battery for a while?
                        Last edited by pjd30; 13 February 2008, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by pjd30 View Post
                          Thanks mate,I will have a look at that.Could I get a replacement turbo pressure sensor from a Motor Factors and would it be an expensive part.

I presume that i simply take off the old one and fir the new one on.Do I need to do any sore of reset like dissconnect ther battery for a while?
                          No need to disconnect batteries.
                          It's a dealer part only I would have thought, or ask on here from someone who is 'breaking' a 2.4 Surf.
                          I have one somewhere, but I put it in a safe place and now I can't find it!

p.s. You check the transmission fluid level with the engine running by the way. Orange dipstick.

Comment

i got a 2.4 coming in tomoz for breaking if your needing the sensor

the overdrive button is on the side of the gear selector and if its off there will be a light lit on the dash
                            the ect button is the black button infront of the gear selector but cant remember if the switch illuminates or a light on the dash
                            Last edited by stormforce; 13 February 2008, 22:30.

Comment

i got a 2.4 coming in tomoz for breaking if your needing the sensor
                              That would be cool.How much would it be?

Comment

Working...
                              X