Dash lit up like xmas tree... HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash lit up like xmas tree... HELP!

Hi, I was driving along yesterday on the M1 doing 70-75 and all of a sudden there was a loud buzzing from under the dash then all the lights came on on the dash, pulled over the car would not start, the car had new alternator fitted about a month ago, checked the voltage across the batteries and they both were reading 12.5V, anyone think duff alternator or something else?
    Happy Surfing!

All the warning lights on when driving usually means an alternator problem.

Is that the voltage with the engine running? If so, it should be higher than that.

Comment

Yeah that was with the engine at high idol... looks like a duff alternator then... cheers will send it back and get another...
      Happy Surfing!

Comment

this just happen to me last week,

it turned out to be a dodgy earth strap, i just took it off give both ends a sanding down and its running ok

i think lol

Comment

which strap mate?
          Happy Surfing!

Comment

Originally posted by ne_surf View Post
            which strap mate?

earth strap, its just a bit thick wire that go's from the negitive side of the battery to the body work its about 6 inces long, cant miss it

but im not sure about yours as you say they just came on, mine started flickering then they lit up and it buzed like hell.

Comment

Problem Sorted

Found the problem... when i actually got a good look at the alternator i noticed that there was not very much on the alternator belt, upon closer inspection it appers that the belt was dead... the belt was basocally just a piece of string... so new belt problem sorted... thanks everyone for your suggestions!
              Happy Surfing!

Comment

Working...
              X