how to get more power easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get more power easily

hey fellas, im just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to get more power out of my surf. cheaply and easily, well the cheapest and easiest ways possible. it is a 91 2.4 liter turbo diesel,(manual) i think it is a 2lt motor
    and secondly is it a limited slip diff or no and would i use the same diff oil as the other vehicles with a 2lt motor the toyota bundera. cheers
    if you break it you buy it.

Originally posted by jake880 View Post
    hey fellas, im just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to get more power out of my surf. cheaply and easily, well the cheapest and easiest ways possible. it is a 91 2.4 liter turbo diesel,(manual) i think it is a 2lt motor
    and secondly is it a limited slip diff or no and would i use the same diff oil as the other vehicles with a 2lt motor the toyota bundera. cheers
    LSD's are rare it should say on the diff. If you still dont know, put one wheel on slippy surface and the other on hard ground and spin her, if it has itll quickly lock together and pull out, iff not one will spin faster than the other.

On the injection pump there is a black thimble type thing, pull this off and youll see a screw head, turn this no more than a quarter turn (8clicks) and itll improve power, also block off the egr valve, and put a couple of washers behind the wastegate of the turbo to build boost pressure.

The best mod for power of all is the intercooler, try and get a L200 or the like, cut a hole in yer bonnet and buy a scoop, that should cost under £100 to do and is big difference. the other mods are free.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Nitrous!

Comment

Look here: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Comment

cheers

cheers fellas that helps, that site is really good,
          and nitrous i mean cmoin man grow a brain, i dont wanna race it.
          by the way what do you think of exhausts like wat improvements are to be gained
          if you break it you buy it.

Comment

Jake, stay away from all the exhaust system hype. The CT20 turbo is a small turbo that provides heaps of backpressure that an expensive exhaust system won't cure. The wastegate on the turbo dumps straight towards the tubine outlet, so all the hype about putting on a bigger dump pipe is BS. However, you can pick up some gains by putting on a straight through muffler. That is where most of the gains are picked up by the guys that purchase expensive systems.

The first mod you should make would be to the temperature guage. Do the mod on the Australian Surf site. This is a MUST DO mod that will save your engine. The cost (not counting your time) is less than a buck.

The next cheap mod for power is to put on a ball-check boost controller. They only cost about A$30. Forget the washers and shimming the wastegate actuator, use the ball-check boost controller. It will prevent wastegate creep until you hit your desired boost. It can bring you up to maximum boost level faster (reduces spooling up time).

I just put on a Water Injection system http://dahn.webcity.com.au/~toy49040...ic.php?t=15662

That craps all over any other mod I've seen. You can get faster spooling up, more power, less heat, more economy (water is cheap) and hardly anyone is doing it. Perhaps it doesn't have the 'Bling' of an expensive exhaust system, but you can always put the sticker in your window if you need that.

A 3L cam works great if you are using the vehicle for mostly road work, smoother power, more economy and more top end power. If you are a rabid off road warrior then stay with the 2L cam. I got my cam for A$120 from a wrecker, it drops straight in, you just have to shim the valve clearances for the new cam if they are off.

Comment

Originally posted by jake880 View Post
              and nitrous i mean cmoin man grow a brain
              Easy there tiger. No need to be like that.

Comment

Working...
              X