Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT due

Hi all

Me again!!! Iv booked my Hilux in for its MOT on Thursday and want to give it the once over to see if needs anything, are there any problem area's where I should specifically be looking?

Also still needing help with my rear door not opening!!! (please see other thread!! :P) will this be taken into account when MOTing??

Regards

The Badger

give it a good clean, check all the lights work ! it will fail if a bulb has blown check for wear/frays on the seat belts . . .ensure the number plates are not damaged. . .are all the wheel nuts on/not sheered ! at least 3mm on tyre tread ! ! MAKE SURE you've got SCREEN wash or at least water ! ! ! does the horn work ! ! ! spare tyre windscreen wipers work/wipe CLEAR the window... fog lights in place. !

thats about the basic basics.....
    fatboy33
    " loving my surf "

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy33 View Post
      give it a good clean, check all the lights work ! it will fail if a bulb has blown check for wear/frays on the seat belts . . .ensure the number plates are not damaged. . .are all the wheel nuts on/not sheered ! at least 3mm on tyre tread ! ! MAKE SURE you've got SCREEN wash or at least water ! ! ! does the horn work ! ! ! spare tyre windscreen wipers work/wipe CLEAR the window... fog lights in place. !

thats about the basic basics.....
      fatboy33
      Ya don't say if it's Diesel ?? if it is put some Veg oil (a litre will do ) in the Fuel tank n take it for a run "drive it like ya stole it" before ya take it for the MOT ...

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by The Badger View Post
        Hi all

Me again!!! Iv booked my Hilux in for its MOT on Thursday and want to give it the once over to see if needs anything, are there any problem area's where I should specifically be looking?

Also still needing help with my rear door not opening!!! (please see other thread!! :P) will this be taken into account when MOTing??

Regards

The Badger
        do you mean the back door or one of the passenger rear doors. The back door is not part of the MOT but the rear doors have to open.

make sure you have a working handbrake, if (like I does sometimes) leave it in park with the handbrake off the rear shoes don't adjust properly meaning it fails on low effort.

If it is a diesel prepair to cover your ears whilst the operator revs the nuts off it up to 8 times. He should ask when the timing belt was done and the oil changed, if he is not happy he will refuse to do the smoke test and fail the vehicle.

If you have any time left on your existing MOT take it with you, they have to take that into account (all the B***s*** about not doing this is pap, they still do (ive got my new MOT in my hand to prove it))

Oh and be prepared for the operator to take 1/2 the time trying to find out what the vehicle is, their wonderful computerised MOT system dosen't pick up the surf
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Great, thanks for the replies people, one question though, why the veg oil??? I run it on normal diesel and haven't had bio/oil fuel before, what will it do??? it is a diesel by the way!!

Its the tailgate that is buggered and wont open but I have 2 cables en-route for this problem!!

Have checked all lights and my rear fog is out so off to put a bulb in that now, also on the lights thing it has spots fitted but i can't find a switch for them and they dont come on with the lights, is this a fail and should I remove them??

Also I dont know the history of the vehicle as bought off Ebay!! so dont know if/when oil was changed or timing belt!! shall I lie??? The timing belt light comes on the dash when the ignition is turned on but goes off when engine is fired, is this good or bad???

Many thanks everyone your all GREEEEEAAAAT!!

The Badger

Comment

VEG OIL will show lower EMMISIONS on the Computer but you will need a bit more than 1 Litre.
            They should'nt rev it too high either.
            FOG LIGHT will only work when main lights are on.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Cheers Marky

I have tried the fog light with the lights on and it still doesnt come on, I dont have a bulb to try that though so will have to pick one up on the way to the MOT station, I have tested with the multi meter and seem to be getting 3v at the light when on so getting a bit of power, not the 12v i would expect though!!??? I arn't getting any where near the 3v at the switch though which I find bizarre, Ill try the bulb tomorrow and let you all know.

I hope that sorts it though cos ill be a little p****d if it falls on a fog light!!

Also I have just over a quarter tank of fuel so how much oil should I put in??

Cheers all and wish me a my monster luck!!!

The Badger

Comment

Failed the MOT

yep she failed, on the ###### fog light!!!!

I need to sort this out within 10 days for my free re-test, any idea's of the best way to do it?? New fog light or trace the problem??? And any idea's on what and where the problem might be??

Regards

The Badger

Comment

yep she failed, on the ###### fog light!!!!

I need to sort this out within 10 days for my free re-test, any idea's of the best way to do it?? New fog light or trace the problem??? And any idea's on what and where the problem might be??

Regards

The Badger
                  is it one of them square plastic ring lamps? The normally last 10 1/2 minutes on my motor, normally they fill up with water and corrode the contact. Easy way would be to renew the lamp and make sure the terminals on the wires are OK. I would remove the terminal to the power wire, strip it back a bit and see if 12V appears then.

I've just "amended" 2 of these lamps and mounted them on the back bumper, I think Apache did a rather nifty job of mounting some in the bumper
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Trace the wires. It's probably either a dodgy connection where it takes power, or a dodgy wire.

As for your veg, in the current cold-ish wether, start off by adding at most an equal amount of veg to diesel (i.e. 50/50 mix), If it's happy, increase the veg a big. Whilst experimenting, try and keep the tank no more than 50% full, that way you can dump a load of diesel in if there is a problem.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

hi all, thanks for all the help.

I have traced the wires back and it seems the previous owner has replaced the wiring for the fog lamp!! I have the dash trim off and had a look at the wires, it seems he has wired it up wrong!!! I have re-wired it correctly and I am getting 11.85v with the switch on and nothing when the switch is off so this is working correctly, the problem I have now is that when I put the bulb in I get no light at all!!

I have fitted a brand new light unit and replaced the earth lead and also tried another bulb but to no avail, any idea's people as this is one of those annoying things that has to be done for my MOT???

Many thanks in advance

The Badger

Comment

hi all, thanks for all the help.

I have traced the wires back and it seems the previous owner has replaced the wiring for the fog lamp!! I have the dash trim off and had a look at the wires, it seems he has wired it up wrong!!! I have re-wired it correctly and I am getting 11.85v with the switch on and nothing when the switch is off so this is working correctly, the problem I have now is that when I put the bulb in I get no light at all!!

I have fitted a brand new light unit and replaced the earth lead and also tried another bulb but to no avail, any idea's people as this is one of those annoying things that has to be done for my MOT???

Many thanks in advance

The Badger

For the MOT, Run an new live wore, directly from battery, put a fuse in it and connect it to a switch on dash, run the live right to the back of the truck and connect it to the light.

It doesn't matter if the wire can be seen as you can take it out after the mot.. that isn't a permanant fix as you can imagine! but it will get you a pass!

Just a note, When mine last went in the MOT tester refused to test it as the 'boot', tailgate in the real world, wouldn't open. he could have just been a t@sser though!
                        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Do hilux rear lights fit the surf?

What do they have for a fog light? if its not seperate, do they fit the surf?

Comment

pickup lights fixings are different to the surf, they may be a different size to the surf lights too, but I know they definitely fix differently, the picku ones have screws which go through from the lens side into the pickup body, where as the surf ones bolt on from the inside of the rear pillar, you have to open the tailgate and unbolt from there.

A foglight should also fail an MOT if it can be operated without either the sidelights or headlights (can't remember which) on, so should fail wired directly through a switch to the battery. it also should have a warning light on the dash, this could be in the form of an illuminated switch, an led or a proper dedicated warning light, but there should be some kind of Visual warning on the dash that the foglight is on.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                              pickup lights fixings are different to the surf, they may be a different size to the surf lights too, but I know they definitely fix differently, the picku ones have screws which go through from the lens side into the pickup body, where as the surf ones bolt on from the inside of the rear pillar, you have to open the tailgate and unbolt from there.

A foglight should also fail an MOT if it can be operated without either the sidelights or headlights (can't remember which) on, so should fail wired directly through a switch to the battery. it also should have a warning light on the dash, this could be in the form of an illuminated switch, an led or a proper dedicated warning light, but there should be some kind of Visual warning on the dash that the foglight is on.

For mine, the switch i used had an LED in it, it passed without the sidelight/headlight problem. It was never mentioned
                              Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X