overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating

my 2.4 overheats when i go up hills but on the flat it is fine even with the electric fan running all the time before i start throwing money at it any ideas would be great i dont think it is the head as the expansion tank is not pressuring up and it is not down on power or oil pressure and know white smoke i have washed the fins of the rad out with a hose to make sure there is no mud stuck in it so any help would be great.
    cheers shaun
    NO LONGER A SURFER NOW DRIVING A LEXUS

I would suggest the radiator itself may be at fault, even having washed the rad there will still be plenty of mud left in it, it might be worth removing it so it can be cleaned off of the vehicle and i reckon it'll still take a good 20-30 minutes of hose running through it before the water comes out the other side clear if it's laid flat on the ground.

I'd remove the rad and clean it out as above, then refit it, change the tranny fluid aswell. And see if that helps.

Failing that a transmission cooler may help if it's only doing it on hills?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by surfboyshaun View Post
      my 2.4 overheats when i go up hills but on the flat it is fine even:
      Sounds like an air lock in the cooling system, or a worn-out/damaged water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
        I would suggest the radiator itself may be at fault, even having washed the rad there will still be plenty of mud left in it, it might be worth removing it so it can be cleaned off of the vehicle and i reckon it'll still take a good 20-30 minutes of hose running through it before the water comes out the other side clear if it's laid flat on the ground.

I'd remove the rad and clean it out as above, then refit it, change the tranny fluid aswell. And see if that helps.

Failing that a transmission cooler may help if it's only doing it on hills?
        i will have a go at it tommorow i had the fluid changed about three months ago but i will have a look thanks
        cheers shaun

Comment

Thermo viscous fan not working , but usually the auto fluid is overheating the rad as already mentioned , so fit an additional cooler before it enters the rad.
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

In order:

1) Flush cooling system thoroughly and check rad condition.

2) Replace rad cap and thermostat, and any clogged/perished hoses. The ones under the thermostat housing, on the matrix feed U-bends, are the worst for clogging/perishing.

3) Check the viscous fan for correct operation, and if necessary repair/renew.

4) Drain and renew ATF.

5) If all else has failed, check/replace the waterpump.

If it's still playing silly buggers then, get the head checked.

Personally, one through four I'd do as a matter of course, regardless of whether they are actually in need of it or not.

With regards to the additional ATF cooler, under normal load conditions, that is something which should rarely, if ever, be needed. It can also create it's own set of problems. But, as usual, no-one will ever listen to me about the importance of using thermostatically controlled switching valves.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
              In order:

1) Flush cooling system thoroughly and check rad condition.

2) Replace rad cap and thermostat, and any clogged/perished hoses. The ones under the thermostat housing, on the matrix feed U-bends, are the worst for clogging/perishing.

3) Check the viscous fan for correct operation, and if necessary repair/renew.

4) Drain and renew ATF.

5) If all else has failed, check/replace the waterpump.

If it's still playing silly buggers then, get the head checked.

Personally, one through four I'd do as a matter of course, regardless of whether they are actually in need of it or not.

With regards to the additional ATF cooler, under normal load conditions, that is something which should rarely, if ever, be needed. It can also create it's own set of problems. But, as usual, no-one will ever listen to me about the importance of using thermostatically controlled switching valves.
              thanks for the advice
              cheers shaun

Comment

I would go with the rad ......especially at the bottom where the heat exchanger with the autobox is ............i suffer from mud clog alot
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post
                  I would go with the rad ......especially at the bottom where the heat exchanger with the autobox is ............i suffer from mud clog alot
                  thanks ian i will get stuck into it at the weekend just lost the will to fix it at the moment note to self you will fix truck at the weekend.
                  cheers shaun

Comment

I would go for rad, blocked with mud. My 2.4 temp started to climb if went over 65. Was simple mud in the fins of the rad. Took off front grill and flushed it through, fine after that.
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                      I would go for rad, blocked with mud. My 2.4 temp started to climb if went over 65. Was simple mud in the fins of the rad. Took off front grill and flushed it through, fine after that.
                      thanks nigel i am going to take the rad out tomorrow so wish me luck just hope i burp it correctly.
                      cheers shaun

Comment

Working...
                      X