hot and cold flushes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot and cold flushes!!

finaly back on-line after ,moving!!! and here is where i really need to be....
    The saga continues If you've read any of my other posts you'll know about my exploding rad and head problems,.... now the thing is, before i embark on a £2000 spending spree up in stockport, i'm now looking for any more straws people have for me to clutch at!! The engine on my surf is still overheating! It has a new head! rad! thermastat! water pump!!! its ok up to about 8 or 9 miles then it just rockets up into the red!! the hose on the top of the rad is rock hard which means a pressure build up, but there seems to be no oil in the water... and just before it rockets up the air from the blowers goes very cold?? I hear you say air lock..ummm been down that road....not an air lock. not the head! new head! not the rad! new rad, not the therm! new therm. and the water pump is only about 5-6 months old!!
    Any thoughts on the matter before i have to admit the end and get it up to steve in stockport...??

Maybe seeing you soon steve!

Cheer G
    Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

sounds to me like the heads gone, the 2.4 head is prone to cracking near to the valves as the original head had a design fault as the waterways were too close there was a recall notice in japan to replace the head with the modified head to overcome this problem. obviously some of the effected were not replaced. a recon head will go again stevo has done petes motor fitted the new design head & did a very proffesional job
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

head

Its a brand new head Marky? what if the old valves were not replaced?

G

Comment

its not the valves its the valve guide area is it a new head or recon ? where did you get the head from, & are you sure the block isnt cracked
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
          finaly back on-line after ,moving!!! and here is where i really need to be....
          The saga continues If you've read any of my other posts you'll know about my exploding rad and head problems,.... now the thing is, before i embark on a £2000 spending spree up in stockport, i'm now looking for any more straws people have for me to clutch at!! The engine on my surf is still overheating! It has a new head! rad! thermastat! water pump!!! its ok up to about 8 or 9 miles then it just rockets up into the red!! the hose on the top of the rad is rock hard which means a pressure build up, but there seems to be no oil in the water... and just before it rockets up the air from the blowers goes very cold?? I hear you say air lock..ummm been down that road....not an air lock. not the head! new head! not the rad! new rad, not the therm! new therm. and the water pump is only about 5-6 months old!!
          Any thoughts on the matter before i have to admit the end and get it up to steve in stockport...??

Maybe seeing you soon steve!

Cheer G
          there doesnt have to be oil in the water for the head to be cracked, although you say it isnt airlocking, it must be or why would the heater blow cold???, no water in there
          Last edited by gemini; 11 March 2004, 13:51.
          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

A suggestion

Just a suggestion, when the new head was fitted, did the head gasket block off any of the waterways?

The heater is also the biggest clue here.

If it is any help I poured Speedflush into my coolant. Rather than just leave it for 30 minutes and drain it all out I left it in there. Interestingly, on day 1 there was no change. On day 2 there was no change. On day 3 the front and rear heaters were blowing much hotter air, the rear one was barely lukewarm previously.

The Speedflush also unblocked the water pump as that is now leaking like a good un and that now needs replacing.

What this does show is that the cooling channels get very, very badly blocked, and that if Speedflush takes 3 days/80 miles to clear them then you may well have the same problem.

It is a cheap and cheerful way to diagnose the problem before spending two grand?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Disconnect heater hoses (the two large at front of engine and the two small at small pipe near thermostat housing) and flush with a garden hose to check for flow.Make sure heater controls are set to hot.If water flows through they are not blocked.If not then find out why.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                Just a suggestion, when the new head was fitted, did the head gasket block off any of the waterways?

The heater is also the biggest clue here.

If it is any help I poured Speedflush into my coolant. Rather than just leave it for 30 minutes and drain it all out I left it in there. Interestingly, on day 1 there was no change. On day 2 there was no change. On day 3 the front and rear heaters were blowing much hotter air, the rear one was barely lukewarm previously.

The Speedflush also unblocked the water pump as that is now leaking like a good un and that now needs replacing.

What this does show is that the cooling channels get very, very badly blocked, and that if Speedflush takes 3 days/80 miles to clear them then you may well have the same problem.

It is a cheap and cheerful way to diagnose the problem before spending two grand?

Cheers

Rob G
                Rob,
                I think you've got a good point there RE leaving the coolant flush in the system for longer to give it a good clear out. Pity about the leak it found, but maybe someone put some sealer in there in Japan to hide the leak, and the flush discovered it. I have my own thoughts on cracking heads, and I'm not convinced of the existance of modified heads. The recall was for head gaskets, not for replacement heads. If anyone's got photo's of old and new heads I'll stand corrected! Poor maintainance of the cooling system (blocked rads and ageing viscous fans) is a more probable cause in my opinion, and this seems to be the view from Australia, where Surfs were very popular before the ban on used imports.
                Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                  Rob,
                  I think you've got a good point there RE leaving the coolant flush in the system for longer to give it a good clear out. Pity about the leak it found, but maybe someone put some sealer in there in Japan to hide the leak, and the flush discovered it. I have my own thoughts on cracking heads, and I'm not convinced of the existance of modified heads. The recall was for head gaskets, not for replacement heads. If anyone's got photo's of old and new heads I'll stand corrected! Poor maintainance of the cooling system (blocked rads and ageing viscous fans) is a more probable cause in my opinion, and this seems to be the view from Australia, where Surfs were very popular before the ban on used imports.
                  Pete
                  The head gasket recall was for 90-94ish V6 petrol motors. Toyota didn't acually recall them, or in Japan for the 2.4 Surf heads, but if you went in with a problem, they would sort it out. That way they avoided a 'public' recall of all the cars, just issued a special service bullitin for dealers to sort people out as they came in.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

a bit like the freelander then it goes in for a service & they replace the engine sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its supposed to be a trade secret
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      The head gasket recall was for 90-94ish V6 petrol motors. Toyota didn't acually recall them, or in Japan for the 2.4 Surf heads, but if you went in with a problem, they would sort it out. That way they avoided a 'public' recall of all the cars, just issued a special service bullitin for dealers to sort people out as they came in.

I think you'll find it was for 2.4 diesels.
                      http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm
                      Pete

Comment

step one......

Cheers boys... looks like i'll just have to go though to step one and give everything another go before posting the surf up to stockport.

As for the block...... i'm keeping my toes crossed as well as my fingers!!!

G

Comment

new owner hi lux surf 92 2.4 turbo diesel

can any one tell me what is the little red button for with japanee,s writing its situated at the on the automatic gear stick base just above the parking sign also how do you fit a band expander to the radio or how do u get the radio out and any tips on improving mpg

Comment

Originally posted by digger
                            can any one tell me what is the little red button for with japanee,s writing its situated at the on the automatic gear stick base just above the parking sign also how do you fit a band expander to the radio or how do u get the radio out and any tips on improving mpg
                            click on here all the info you need i hope. welcome & enjoy
                            http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X