Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so slow

I’ve finally got my turbo working.
    I’ve only ever driven it with a broken one and I was expecting the performance and fuel economy (20mpg and 230 on a tank) to go up, at least a little.
    Yes it goes up hill better, but the top speed and acceleration is still crap, 0-60=3mins (a bit of exaggeration), and top speed of 70mph. I know that’s the speed limit but I would prefer it to go quicker so I could at least sit there crusing along at 70 and not flooring it at 70 and still aroud 20mpg and 230 on a tank.

Anyway is this just how a 2.4td surf goes or just mine?

P.S sorry for bitching about a surf, I love it really just not the performance.
    Last edited by surf-wejd; 9 January 2008, 23:30.

I get 95 out of mine. Maybe one of the turbo pipes is off.

Comment

Originally posted by surf-wejd
      I’ve finally got my turbo working.
      I’ve only ever driven it with a broken one and I was expecting the performance and fuel economy (20mpg) to go up, at least a little.
      Yes it goes up hill better, but the top speed and acceleration is still crap, 0-60=3mins (a bit of exaggeration), and top speed of 70mph. I know that’s the speed limit but I would prefer it to go quicker so I could at least sit there cursing along at 70 and not flooring it at 70.

Anyway is this just how a 2.4td surf goes or just mine?

P.S sorry for bitching about a surf, I love it really just not the performance.
      It should do 70 comfortably and go up to 80-85 without any real fuss. Initial acceleration in them is terrible, but they travel quite nicely once you're moving - as long as you're not going up hill.

You should get better MPG too.

Sounds like you still have problems somewhere.

Comment

I agree, something still isnt quite right.

Obviously half of this is down to opinion. If you were used to driving somethings thats fast as .... Then coming down to the world of 2.4 surfing could be a shock.

Mines not fast, but its faster then a lot of other cars out there! Easy.

One difference between my current Surf and my older surf is a Stainless exhaust, big bore over standard and it picks up a lot quicker, i can accelerate up hills. Its a lot better then my old one, once my body lift is on an intercooler is on the cards. then i should be happy(ier)

Comment

Release the handbrake.

Check your transmission fluid level, check all turbo hoses are secure, check that the rear brakes aren't sticking, clear any fault codes logged in the ECU, inflate your tyres to 32psi.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
            I agree, something still isnt quite right.

Obviously half of this is down to opinion. If you were used to driving somethings thats fast as .... Then coming down to the world of 2.4 surfing could be a shock.

Mines not fast, but its faster then a lot of other cars out there! Easy.

One difference between my current Surf and my older surf is a Stainless exhaust, big bore over standard and it picks up a lot quicker, i can accelerate up hills. Its a lot better then my old one, once my body lift is on an intercooler is on the cards. then i should be happy(ier)
            wish i had come from somthing fast, i had a 1987 mitsubushie l200, i didnt mind that being slow as its only a 1.8 petrol. but still if i had them side by side the l200 would go better and at least feel like its pulling.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Release the handbrake.

Check your transmission fluid level, check all turbo hoses are secure, check that the rear brakes aren't sticking, clear any fault codes logged in the ECU, inflate your tyres to 32psi.
              how do you check the ECU

Comment

Originally posted by surf-wejd
                how do you check the ECU

Explained here...

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/efifaultcodes.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  cool, thanks. will try it out tomorow.

Comment

Check your fuel filter too.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

they are just slow, throttle pedal only ther to make more noise, mine gets too 90 but not happy. its alot of car and not enough power.
                      Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Even with the turbo the 2.4 only has 97 bhp... so yes, it is slow (well certainly compared to a 150 bhp 3:0 ltr V6)
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Working...
                        X