Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with electrics/brakes

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, but I've lurked around for a few months and got some good info and tips, so I'd like to say: thanks for a great forum!

I've got a 2.4 Hilux Surf that I've had for 6 months, without any problems - great fun - until yesterday(!)

First of all, the batteries were not in the best of health and although the Hilux started every time, you could tell by the noise the engine made when it was starting that they were on the way out. Anyway, yesterday we were trundling along doing about 30 when all the warning lights on the dash came on and it started to beep (as if it was telling me the glow plugs were heated up). Then I noticed the brakes were unresponsive - the pedal was solid, like the ignition was off. I pulled over, turned the engine off and tried to restart the truck - both batteries were dead.
    I'm sure I need two new batteries, but would that affect the brakes? and what's the deal with the dashboard lights and beeping?

I checked the brake fluid and it's up to the max, so no problem there - has anyone got any ideas what's going on/what to look at?

It'll be your alternator. It has a vacuum pump fitted to it.
    Check the tension of the belts first though before condeming the alternator.

Comment

I agree with Vince. Lights on dash and brake problems will be the alternator but not what you are thinking. You probably have very loose or maybe even no belts on the alternator now. The alternator is fitted with a vacuum pump. Belt failure will result in no charge to batteries as well as no vacuum for brakes and other things.

Nev

Comment

Hey Bushwhacker, thanks for the info mate. I've just had a look at the belts and there are two that follow the same route around the fan pulley and a couple of others and they're really slack - I could probably pull them off with one finger!

Just so I'm clear, both these belts drive the alternator and a pump the maintains brake pressure? Are the belts pretty standard - there's a Halfords open up the road, they should have them?

Cheers again.

Comment

Two belts drive the alternator, one belt for the air-con and one for the power steering.

Halfords should have some, if they can't find them listed, ('cos it'l probably be a spotty kid) ask them to look under 4Runner.

This'll show you how to adjust the belt tension.......

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/alternator.htm

You can order a set of belts here too if no luck at Halfords....

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=11&cid=605
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 26 December 2007, 13:51.

Comment

I have changed the alternator on mine twice as the one i got went tits up a day after i got it! got a replacement and put that on (i got good at it and could remove it in about 45 mins and got it back on and running in 29 mine, timed myself cos i am sad!!) has been fine ever since and that was about 6 months ago.

Good luck getting it sorted.
            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

woodzie had same problem lost brake vaccum,whilst offroading inthe welsh mountains of all the places.very scarey,anyway fitted a new alternator and the vac pump on that was u/s too.so had to get another one,there must be a dodgy batch out there.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
              X