Turbo problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muller1
    I may be totaly wrong as to how the surf turbo system works but normaly a turbo waste gate opens to route the exhaust gasses past the turbo and keep the boost pressure down not increase it and blow it and other things as was mentioned earlier.
    If the waste gate was siezed closed then the boost would go higher than the design pressure but I do not think it would reach such a high pressure as to blow up the turbo unit. but it would possibly make the vehicle perform better provided there was an equal increase in the fuel added to the mixture going in to the engine.

Mike
    cant remember where but someone on here put a link up about spacing the wastgate with to many washers can blow your turbo

Comment

Waste gate, or none

My Toyota landcruiser had no waste gate and as it was 4.2 litres I could produce a lot of boost and after 185000 miles nstill ran like new.
      Also I had my Volvo T5 altered to give 340hp from the standardf plod spec of 250 hp and most of this was done with increasing the boost pressure to 16 psi which allowed more fuel to be thrown it and no probs but plays hell with the tyres.
      Some high performance pulling tractors are boosting nat just under 80 psi and they pull like hell.

Regards,
      Mile

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
        cant remember where but someone on here put a link up about spacing the wastgate with to many washers can blow your turbo

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm

Too many washers will put the ECU into failsafe mode to protect the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm

Too many washers will put the ECU into failsafe mode to protect the engine.
          thanks vince thought you would come up with it

Comment

Right, been out fiddling with it today, and i can't find anything amiss other than the infamous red pipe, (well it's not really red, but it's been highlighted red in a pic that keeps getting posted), is a bit on the loose side on the inlet manifold end. There's losts of posts about this being the cause of boost problems and so on but none mention any sort of whine or odd noise at all. I'll replace it anyway but i'm not sure it's the cause.

I've played with the actuator assembly, and that although it's stiff seems ok, i guess i could try some oil on the moving bit but it'll burn off in a matter of minutes anyway won't it?

I have pulled various vacuum hoses and the vac system seems to be working ok. Any more ideas anyone?
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Sounds to me that there is a problem with the turbo. I had exactly the same problem and the engine management was shutting down the boost from the turbo. It had me stumped too. I stripped the turbo but could'nt really see too much wrong with it. I had it rebuilt and it was as good as new. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                i cant physically fit one more washer into my set of washers, and im only at 10-11 psi. one more qwasher would probably give me 11-12psi.
                i dont think its physically possible to add too many washers. unless our actuator springs are stronger than others therfore needing less washers for the same boost
                Last edited by dieselboy; 2 January 2008, 17:02.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

nero how are your brakes now?

have you found the vacuum pump? have you pulled off a hose and started the engine to see if it makes a vacuum?

to find whats making the noise (because it may be air leaking somewhere, or a belt slipping) you could get some spray like wd-40 or something and whilst the engine is running, start spraying suspect things in the engine bay. i would start around where you think the noise is coming from and work along. spray belts, and hoses etc.

i had a noise like this on an old car. the new engine mount was so solid it shook the carburettor loose and air was leaking in and whistling! took me ages to find it because it was so high pitched, but did in the end when the spray got onto it, it stopped briefly.

best of luck!

if a turbo doesnt have a wastegate, how does it control boost?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

not to contradict any of you, but turbos are quite simple arnt they?

i mean there is air in and air out on both sides, with 2 fans connected by a shaft and space for a waste gate. i thought the only ways a turbo could fail is if, their bearings were worn to a point that excessive oil leaked either into the exhaust or into the induction - both ways give smoke and the latter would make a petrol car lose power (might give power on diesels lol)
                    and then the next is if an impeller broke off, it could get into the exhaust or induction side. both would then cause the turbo to spin slower, and if it got into the induction it could try to enter the engine which is bad news.

the wastegate / actuator is a seperate item i believe.

how else could a turbo fail?
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

brakes i can put up with for now, they aren't that bad, but not as good as i'd like. Once the surf is back on the road i'll look into them more, but i've checked for vacuum at the vac pump and reservoir and all the turbo sensors and it seems fairly strong.

I'm in the process of uploading a video to youtube so people can maybe get a better idea of the noise.

Spent this afternoon under the bonnet, cleaning up all the intake pipework again, so i can get a better idea of just how much oil is accumulating in the pipes in a short period of time, there was quite a bit in there today, while i was under there i thought i'd tension the power steering and alternator belts as they were both a bit loose, but managed to sheer the adjuster bolt for the alternator, bugger, don't ask!

The rubber intake pipe immediately after the turbo was completely soaked through with oil, it was almost as if it had gone porous as the outside was drenched aswell is this possible? If not i guess this has been leaking so this could be where the whine's from, but i'm not convinced as this was one of the first things i checked was for leaks on any of the intake pipes and couldn't find any. Obviously this pipe needs replacing now anyway.

Videos up so have a watch and laugh at the stupid noises my surf makes, then make suggestions as to what needs doing...

...ok don't, just humour me with cheap fixes and straws to cling to!

Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7EMfb_VSr0

gotta take the dog out before it gets any darker & colder, back in a bit.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

take your pick mate
                        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

ive got no sound cos im at work but will check when i get home at 7. ps - your dash is dusty lol

anyway,
                          from what i have been told, the brakes are powered by the vacuum from that pump connected to the servo. so unless you have air in your brake lines (which you shouldnt unless you ran it out of fluid) then i would think that the vacuum pump is suspect?

ive no idea how you check these but you say it feels strong, is it possible its not strong enough and is faulty inside or split somewhere and making the noise?

as for oil in the intake pipes, dont worry about it. my intercooler collects oil regularly. sometimes it makes the truck smoke a bit. but driving it clears. our trucks arnt brand new so it will coke up inside anyway.
                          i disconnected my rocker cover to turbo pipe because it was pushing out too much oil when i floored it. this helped a lot. and i stuck a mini k&n breather on the rocker cover. if i have been driving and i get out and open the bonnet, you can see the engine blowing bubbles in the oil its breathing out. its nicely lubed up the back of the engine too lol

i think you should go and buy a 99p bottle of maintenance spray or wd-40 replica and try to locate the noise!
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

found some headphones, watched the vid
                            the noise sounds a bit like power steering when you turn full lock and arnt moving (on other cars) :/
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

hows this getting on mate?
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

About as well as my posting, i just wrote a nice informative technical reply clicked submit and it comes up 'this page cannot be found'

basically dunno what's up, tried most things now except the turbo itself. Looking at buying a breaker, swap the turbo over if it turns out not to be that swap other stuff over til i get the right bit or end up with two non running surfs sitting on my drive looking sorry for themselves.
                                =========
                                =SOLD UP!=
                                =========

Comment

Working...
                                X