No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power

Since its become cold (-6 c on average at night) I havent been able to start my surf without jumping it and about 5 minutes of cranking (no more then 30 secs at a time and then letting the starter cool before cranking again). I figured my battery was getting old because it just doesnt sound like its cranking over fast enough. So this morning i went to start it and everything came on and i waited to let the glow plugs heat, as soon as i turned it to start it clicked and lost all power. No lights, no cd player, nothing.

Is there a main fuse (1990 surf/2lt)? What would make it lose all power?

hey mate,

it sounds asthough you are letting ypur glo plugs 'heat' they are not actually doing any thing,continual draining of the battery(s) will in the long run kill one or more cells,unless it is a deep cycle battery.if its taking you up to 5 minutes to start it definitely sounds like glo plugs.it was -5 here one day last week,and mine started fine.

btw is there any smoke being produced during ths long cranking period ?

if not it may be a fueling issue
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

it smokes while cranking. But just hard to start.
      I will order up some new glow plugs.

But for now I have no power at all to anything...usually it will atleast turn on a dash light or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by sebas
        it smokes while cranking. But just hard to start.
        I will order up some new glow plugs.

But for now I have no power at all to anything...usually it will atleast turn on a dash light or 2.
        new glo plugs should make a big difference.as for the lack of electrical power,there is a main fuse under the bonnet.do a search on this site for fuses and it should give you a picture of what you are looking for.
        a sfor the battery it would be worth putting it on charge and seeing if it responds to a long trickle charge.if you only do short journeys,bear in mind that it could be 15 -20 minutes of running before the alternator replaces the charge lost when cranking
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Since its become cold (-6 c on average at night) I havent been able to start my surf without jumping it and about 5 minutes of cranking (no more then 30 secs at a time and then letting the starter cool before cranking again). I figured my battery was getting old because it just doesnt sound like its cranking over fast enough. So this morning i went to start it and everything came on and i waited to let the glow plugs heat, as soon as i turned it to start it clicked and lost all power. No lights, no cd player, nothing.

Is there a main fuse (1990 surf/2lt)? What would make it lose all power?

'Tis the season of dead batteries too.
          The cold weather isn't good for them, and if it's on the way out, winter will kill it.
          If your battery is more than a year old, first try a top-up and recondition tablet; if that doesn't work look into a new one.

Comment

I picked up a battery since i get them cheap ($50cdn for a $150 battery since i buy so many from one supplier through work)

Now its out into the cold to fix this beast

Comment

I picked up a battery since i get them cheap ($50cdn for a $150 battery since i buy so many from one supplier through work)

Now its out into the cold to fix this beast
              Good luck pal.

Comment

Got the battery in, cleaned up the terminals and rewired some of it. Turns over a lot faster and started easier (still need to check the glow plugs)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                X