Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistle / Turbo?

Hi Every one
    My recently aquired Surf 2.4 ssr-x 1992 has a whistle.
    I think comes from the turbo when the engine gets hot.
    It does not change note when the engine speed is increased.
    After the engine has been switched off for five minutes or so the whistle has gone, only to return as the temperature rises again.
    I am a little puzzled, bearings,belt squeal and most noises are infuenced by engine speed.
    Has any one else had heard this constant weeeee.
    Don
    Still rolling and waving

Originally posted by Oldone
    Hi Every one
    My recently aquired Surf 2.4 ssr-x 1992 has a whistle.
    I think comes from the turbo when the engine gets hot.
    It does not change note when the engine speed is increased.
    After the engine has been switched off for five minutes or so the whistle has gone, only to return as the temperature rises again.
    I am a little puzzled, bearings,belt squeal and most noises are infuenced by engine speed.
    Has any one else had heard this constant weeeee.
    Don
    probably the turbo... it's the sound of pressurised air.... the note doesn't usually change but it gets louder with the revs.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Whistle/Turbo?

The niceman at Turbo Technics says what I am hearing is an air leak.
      After 10 miles or so things expand and an air leak developes.On cooling a little the gap closes and the noise stops.
      dabigman said it was air.thank you dabiman.
      All I have to do now is find the leaking joint. I am a happy bunny now coz I thought a new turbo was needed.
      Don
      Still rolling and waving

Comment

After 10 miles or so things expand and an air leak developes.On cooling a little the gap closes and the noise stops.

Don
        Congratulations! You're just reversed the laws of physics. Turns out all the Thermo-dynamics I learnt about was just a big pile of poo.
        91 SSR ltd 2.4td Wine over grey. Currently on head #2.
        89 Mazda MX6 2.2 lt turbo.

Comment

The niceman at Turbo Technics says what I am hearing is an air leak.
          dabigman said it was air.thank you dabiman.
          All I have to do now is find the leaking joint. I am a happy bunny now coz I thought a new turbo was needed.
          Don
          Don,
          As far as I can make out, all the 2.4's have a whistle from the turbo. Mine kicks in about 2k rpm and doesn't go away.

If you want to check - before you search for a leak that isn't there - , give me a pm and you can spin mine around the bypass and see whats what - I've also had all the turbo intakes / pipes off at least 6 times now so I'll give you a hand if you want .... can do the damned things in my sleep now
          [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Turbo/Whistle?

Just found a large split in convoluted rubber pipe. May be this thats making the bleesed noise
            Don
            Still rolling and waving

Comment

Turbo/Whistle?

Just found a large split in convoluted rubber pipe. May be this thats making the blessed noise
              Don
              Still rolling and waving

Comment

Just found a large split in convoluted rubber pipe. May be this thats making the blessed noise
                Don

I split one of those a year back. Toyota charged me $110AU!!!
                A bad design, it gets hot, oily and brittle, easily split & able to suck junk straight into the compressor wheel. Check your air filter it's probably dirty as hell, when the filters clogged in sucks the hose in and out and it splits.

Avoid the temptation to tape it up until you get round to replacing it. If you suck the tape in you'll frag the compressor blades for sure.
                Last edited by crusty; 10 March 2004, 00:28.

Comment

Bike Tube!!

Stretch a length of bike inner-tube over the flexipipe, it follows the shape of the original and is almost invisible. NZ$ 160 !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Muzz67
                    Stretch a length of bike inner-tube over the flexipipe, it follows the shape of the original and is almost invisible. NZ$ 160 !!!!!!!!
                    Now that is what I call a clever Idea. To quote from Apollo 13

"You sir are a steely eyed missile man".

If you lived in England you'd get a Blue Peter badge for that.

Good one

Cheers

Comment

I also have this whistle sometimes.Always when hot but not consistant.There is also a slight loss of power when this happens.I believe there is a small leak somewhere.It's somewhere between turbo and flexible joint.Will find it one day.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Muzz67
                        Thanks Muzz67 Now where do I find an inner tube to act as a condom?
                        Oldone
                        Still rolling and waving

Comment

Try a motorcycle shop.....

Thos little mopeds from years back, honda melodies for instance, had something like 3.5inch wheels that were really wide.....
                          Take the pipe with you..... theres a good, helpful, one off midland road, behind the Police station.
                          [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim
                            Try a motorcycle shop.....

Thos little mopeds from years back, honda melodies for instance, had something like 3.5inch wheels that were really wide.....
                            Take the pipe with you..... theres a good, helpful, one off midland road, behind the Police station.
                            Took your advice and bought an inner tube £7 size 110/90/10. After some swearing and after stuffing a brasso tin inside to support the tube across the split the lengths of inner tube were stretched into place. It looks like a very serviceable repair.
                            I now believe my whisle is turbo bearings.
                            Don
                            Still rolling and waving

Comment

chasing down that darn whistle

To eliminate the turbo whistle, remove all bolts holding the turbo in place, disconnect all hoses and oil lines. Remove turbo and throw over neighbours fence.

That is only way to stop a turbo from whistling.

I really don't know why some of you people won't accept the fact, TURBOS WHISTLE. It's perfectly normal.
                              What type of noise do you want from 2 sets of blades on an apposing shaft that can spool up to 200,000rpm????? maybe a type of "CLANG CLANGE WRRRRRR BOOOING BOOOING FSSSSSTTT BAAAAARP BAAAARP" would be more pleasing to the ear.

Comment

Working...
                              X