need your expert help again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need your expert help again!

Well it all started when i went laning and noticed my car chucking out coolant. Flushed and checked system fitted new thermostat (didn't have one before) and rad cap.

System still pressurised and had a lot of air in rad. I then noticed that the hose that connects the bottom rad hose with the one coming out of the block was a bit loose so fixed that with new clamp and burped again.

All seemed good running better than ever. today whilst going to work i was going round a corner and noticed the temp gage shot up to the red then back down when i straightened up again so parked and had a look. pipes firm but not massively pressurised and no coolant poring out the expansion tank. scratch head time.

After work (10 hours later) it had cooled down so i took off the rad cap and it was very pressurised with air which escaped with vigour!! took about a litre of coolant. got home without any other fuss parked it up till i figure this out.

I have tested it for combustion gasses and was negative. don't get excessive white smoke, in fact once warmed up not much smoke at all. exhaust gas does not smell of coolant. But apart from that the only thing i can think it can be is the head. Was thinking about a pin hole in the rad but that would not keep such pressure in the system when cold would it?!?!

Please help as i am getting to the stage of pulling my hair out and getting rid!!
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

No ideas mate

Hope you get it sorted and don't get rid off it, who will i go out to play with if your surfless??
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy

After work (10 hours later) it had cooled down so i took off the rad cap and it was very pressurised with air which escaped with vigour!! took about a litre of coolant. got home without any other fuss parked it up till i figure this out.
      If the head was cracked it probably wouldn't hold pressure after 10 hours, it would have forced coolant into the bore and had lots of white smoke when starting.

If it still had pressure after 10 hours (air or water) this would prove the cooling system is tight and leak free.

Maybe you just had an airlock still.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        If the head was cracked it probably wouldn't hold pressure after 10 hours, it would have forced coolant into the bore and had lots of white smoke when starting.

If it still had pressure after 10 hours (air or water) this would prove the cooling system is tight and leak free.

Maybe you just had an airlock still.

I burped it using the bottle in the rad cap hole for about half hour! could my water pump be letting in air? this is really dong my head in!

Comment

I burped it using the bottle in the rad cap hole for about half hour! could my water pump be letting in air? this is really dong my head in!
          I doubt letting in air as water is heavier & would force air out leaving puddle on the ground
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

To those who know could the turbo be pressurising the coolent??? sv1000spilot surgested it and wanna rule it out. Could the water jacket be letting air in and causing me the grief?

Comment

To those who know could the turbo be pressurising the coolent???
              No. The turbo is pumping about 13PSI into the engine and this is nothing compared to the 450 PSI you get on compression. See if you can find someone that knows how to do a cylinder leakdown test or give it a good workout up some steep hills. Cracks in the head sometimes require the engine to be under quite a bit of load before symptoms show.

Nev

Comment

checked today and i think i can safely say the head is cracked, loking in to getting it sorted. Better the devil you know and all that. i am just looking forward to having it running nicely again and not having to worry all the time. Thanks for your advise Nev i think that is the case cos it started when i was laning and it was under load.

At least i will know it has been done and with a stevo head!!!

Comment

Working...
                X