• Show
Clear All

• HELP.... 4WD Dead?

Hey... so here is canada is started to snow today,
    perfect time with icy hills to find out that your
    ADD system seem to be dead. Heres whats happening

So you click the button on the 4WD stick and it does
    not light up nor does the dash board.

Leave it in for a bit a drive still nothing, and i have of course used the 4WD before, about a month ago.

Other info that might help: E-brake light was on for the longest time even though the E-brake was out. sourced the problem back to ether Vacuum pump or the vacuum tank. Did not fix it cause of time and money. had been on for 3 or 4 month until a few days ago when it stopped what it was doing.

What i think its that cause the systems both use the Vacuum to work (brakes being Vacuum as a back up) is the ether the tank or the pump has kicked it.

What do you guys think? also i might need part number if you got any. Toyota Factory Part number would work best

Thanks

THe ADD mech on the front axle needs Vacuum to work, you need to get that sorted.

Normally the vanes in the pump have worn out if you have no vacuum.

Toy part number for the pump vanes is in here somewhere...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Have not yet tested every thing. where is the ADD sys Relay located?

Comment

Originally posted by Terran-Ender View Post
        Have not yet tested every thing. where is the ADD sys Relay located?
        It's above the brake pedal - stamped as fuel pump relay - seriously....

Check that, but also check that you are getting vac by pulling the pipes off the VSVs in the engine bay - there is a blue one and a brown one - RHS of the engine bay I think...near the battery.
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
          It's above the brake pedal - stamped as fuel pump relay - seriously....

Check that, but also check that you are getting vac by pulling the pipes off the VSVs in the engine bay - there is a blue one and a brown one - RHS of the engine bay I think...near the battery.
          Also, if you have recently had a lobotomy, check whether this thread is 14 months old before supplying useful suggestions.

Comment

cusiously i was reading this thread myself earlier cos im concerned my 4WD isnt working. no dash light when the button is depressed. i cant pretend to understand how the 4WD system works to be honest even though ive read up on it numerous times but ill have to get my head around it as i want to get the truck offroad sometime soon

Comment

Originally posted by T1z3R View Post
              cusiously i was reading this thread myself earlier cos im concerned my 4WD isnt working. no dash light when the button is depressed. i cant pretend to understand how the 4WD system works to be honest even though ive read up on it numerous times but ill have to get my head around it as i want to get the truck offroad sometime soon
              Could be the bulb. What happens when you press the button (on a suitably looser surface at low speed)? There should be pretty loud clunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                Also, if you have recently had a lobotomy, check whether this thread is 14 months old before supplying useful suggestions.
                Ah!!!......

I'll go and lay down again.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  Could be the bulb. What happens when you press the button (on a suitably looser surface at low speed)? There should be pretty loud clunk.
                  from memory i wouldnt say there was a clunk but i do hear a relay when the buttons pressed. im going to have a look at it this weekend so will hopefully get a better idea then.

Comment

from memory i wouldnt say there was a clunk but i do hear a relay when the buttons pressed. im going to have a look at it this weekend so will hopefully get a better idea then.
                    If you don't get a clunk - but you do hear the relay, does the relay only click once - or a few times?

It could be a switch on the back of the transfer case, or the 4WD ECU - if no clunk. Or no vacuum from the pump - so make sure all the connections in the engine bay are OK.

Comment

Take a look on the l/h side of the engine bay you will see a load of small hoses. I had this issue and it was one that had fallen off . Stick it back on and got the light back on. You will see a pipe running accross the top of the engine
                      Lean Green Veggie Machine

Comment

Working...
                      X