thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat

I have searched and had a read on this subject but found different answers so thought i would ask you guy and see what happens. I am having a little problem with my truck over pressurising the coolant system and dumping coolant on the deck. This only happened once and i noticed before it overheated. it only started to happen when i fitted a new rad cap and thermostat (mine didn't have one when i got it).

Taken the stat out today and tested it, It started to open at between 88 and 90 decrees. and was fully open at about 98 decrees. Now what i wanna know is are they meant to start to open at 88 or be fully open at 88 decrees?

Thanks for you time people.
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

According to info on Oz site, it should start to open at 88 deg and be fully open at 100deg, so looks like yours is ok.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ermostat+opens
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

When my head went i removed the rad cap to cut down on pressure build up for a while. This worked so be cautious of why it was removed in the 1st place.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

You could try running the engine up to temp without the rad cap on, and see if you get "bubbling" at the cap, if you do then chances are you've got a cracked head.
        Also check for water vapour coming from the exhaust, if those prove negative, then get a gas test done at a garage to see if there is exhaust gas in the coolant.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thanks for the replys i have a gas tester which i will do tomorrow. I don't get white smoke once its up to temperature. Just a bit before it warms on cold mornings. In fact since the thermostat was fitted it doesn't seem to have black smoke either, so it must be running at a better temp than before. From what i have found out i think i must of had air i the system which causes the overflow. i will keep checking the level and cross my fingers .

Danno told me that he removed the thermostat cos the rad burst whilst he was beasting it off road so he took it out to relive the pressure on the rad till he got home and forgot to put it back in when he changed the rad (which he did just before i went to see it) so i dont think that it had a major problem.
          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Working...
          X