air con gasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air con gasses

Hi, I am the owner of a 2.4TD SSRX automatic. Due to work etc etc etc I had no time to do the work myself. I have just had a new radiator and two new batteries fitted by local garage (parts supplied by Roughtrax, only 15 mins away from me). For some reason they were so say unable to reach and undo cooler connections from bottom of radiator without disconnecting air con and oil cooler. All is now fitted but they have degassed my air con and now say that gas that was used was R12 no longer legal in uk and will now need to be changed to R134A. Now need oil in compressor and regassing at garage cost of £250. Is this right, please comment and advise. Thanks, Luv my Surf, wish I had done work myself now.

That seems alot of money.It should just need a regas with r134a and that costs about £60 the oil wont have drained out when they removed the pipe just the gas and i am sure r134a is ok with the old r12 if you go to haulfords you can get the kit for about £40 to do it yourself .Ow and hello fellow bristolian
    Last edited by kiowa; 8 November 2007, 20:58.
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by Big Toy
      Hi, I am the owner of a 2.4TD SSRX automatic. Due to work etc etc etc I had no time to do the work myself. I have just had a new radiator and two new batteries fitted by local garage (parts supplied by Roughtrax, only 15 mins away from me). For some reason they were so say unable to reach and undo cooler connections from bottom of radiator without disconnecting air con and oil cooler. All is now fitted but they have degassed my air con and now say that gas that was used was R12 no longer legal in uk and will now need to be changed to R134A. Now need oil in compressor and regassing at garage cost of £250. Is this right, please comment and advise. Thanks, Luv my Surf, wish I had done work myself now.
      sounds lke you've been conned

Comment

Worth a read about the gases

http://www.airconditioningforcars.co...5.htm#r12after
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

To completely change everything over to the latest air-con gas, should cost no more than 130 quid. Thats including replacing the rubber seals, fittings and gas.

There's no need to remove anything else when replacing the radiator, maybe loosen a few nuts or bolts and shift things about, but definitely no need to discharge the air-con.

They discharged your air-con without first consulting you so they are liable to get it working again. They probably just discharged it into the atmosphere so tell them you'll report them for that too!

Comment

There is no need to disconnect the air con radiator.

I have removed and replaced my radiator twice in the last few weeks (another story). There is no real need to but if the AT oil pipes at the bottom of the rad are stubborn you can drop the air con radiator just enough to get to them without disconnection.

This is one of the reasons, wherever possible, I carry out my own repairs.

I'd be inclined to return to the garage and demand they pay for the regas. At the very least they should have asked for your permission to disconnect the air con before doing so.
            Ian
            One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

air con gasses

Cheers guys, thanks for all info will contact garage tomorrow. Not happy with service or prices from them, next time will do work myself. Thanks again.

Comment

Remind them it was in or rad work, not AC. So you aint paying and they are to regas your system. I had the same with Lookers trying it on, they paid for the regas in the end.

Comment

Working...
                X