in gear but not moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in gear but not moving

Hi Im way in vietnam but just got e-mail from my wife (no women driver jokes please)
    Anyway, apparently the hilux has stopped moving - even though the engine is running ok and reving, and its in gear, the hilux wont move. Also before this she said when it was working ok she said it was accelerating more slowly than usual.

Any suggestions? Things I could suggest she tries bewfore getting a garage involved? I thought may be she somehow hit the 4 wheel drive lever into neutral, is that possible?

Cheers

Originally posted by ifd66
    Hi Im way in vietnam but just got e-mail from my wife (no women driver jokes please)
    Anyway, apparently the hilux has stopped moving - even though the engine is running ok and reving, and its in gear, the hilux wont move. Also before this she said when it was working ok she said it was accelerating more slowly than usual.

Any suggestions? Things I could suggest she tries bewfore getting a garage involved? I thought may be she somehow hit the 4 wheel drive lever into neutral, is that possible?

Cheers
    Thats a possibility, but also if she did press the button could the axles have wound up and then snapped something, that would account for the slowness of it as it went. if is not moving i would say it cant be drive shafts cos the prop would still turn the rear, and if it was prop then front would still pull.

See if engageing 4wd gives drive, if not and axle windup has occured then something more internal could have given up
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

No Drive

When did the drive give up? What was she doing when it gave up and where did this happen.
      The reason I as is my wife carries the shopping and her hand (RUCKSACK) bag
      on the floor and in removing the shopping or handbag it is quite easy to knock and move the selector lever.
      I would not think it is something terminal as Toyota build a pretty good truck and I am sure you wife was not towing a fully loaded arctic up a hill at the time.
      I would ask her to best describe exactly what and when it happened and talk her through moving the selector lever to an other drive position even a H4 position and try it.
      Regards.
      Mike

3 Litre 1998 srrx and loving it

Comment

i had that problem with my surf. It turned out that the torque converter had burnt out. so i needed a whole new gearbox. its not cheap. but the garage i brought it from payed for it

Comment

Like Muller said, pull the little gear lever right back into 2H and all should be well...maybe...
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

This happened to me

I couldn't get truck to move even though it was in drive. Rac came out.......One of my kids had knocked the 4x4 lever out of high. Only slightly
            Oh was I ashamed. Hope its something simple like that for you.

Comment

could be simple?is it manual?if so we get it all the time,"it's been accelerating slowly""burning smell"____________clutch burnt out/gone!

Comment

have you actually checked the atf fluid level ?or has it all leaked out
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks ... now moving

Well, thankfully my wife had knocked the 4 wheel drive lever into neutral.
                  But thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ifd66
                    Well, thankfully my wife had knocked the 4 wheel drive lever into neutral.
                    But thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers
                    tell the mrs to keep her legs over her own side of the truck in future..
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                    X