engine prob 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine prob 2.4

hi my surf engine has jammed solid after some clattering so it has slipped timming or dropped a valve or who knows as timming belt is still on is this common with this engines also will a head from non turbo hilux fit or even bottom end if thats the prob thanks andrew

u will need new engine

Comment

Originally posted by adm123west
      hi my surf engine has jammed solid after some clattering so it has slipped timming or dropped a valve or who knows as timming belt is still on is this common with this engines also will a head from non turbo hilux fit or even bottom end if thats the prob thanks andrew

How do you know the timing belt is still on, have you removed the front cover?

Comment

i pulled the top of the cover away to see belt was still tight

Comment

Take the head off.

Any debris in the cylinders? Smashed heads and pistons? If so, it's knackered, easiest to get a new engine.

Otherwise,
          Look for water in the cylinders (doesn't take much -- a few cc). If you're lucky you won't have bent a con-rod. Water in cylinders = blown head or head gasket = rebuild

If no water, try turning over (by hand). No luck = seized pistons = rebuild.
          Last edited by cataclysm; 1 November 2007, 10:09.

Comment

i pulled the top of the cover away to see belt was still tight

Take the glowplugs out and see if you can turn the engine over by hand or key.

Comment

is this common with this engines
              Not any more common than any other engine of this vintage

also will a head from non turbo hilux fit or even bottom end if thats the prob thanks andrew
              I wouldn't think so..... did they do a 2.4 normally asperated hilux?
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

what sort of price should i pay for a good engine ?

Comment

A basic engine from a breakers is between £500 and £1500, but the Surf's engine is fairly rare in this country. Don't discount a re-build unless the engine is totally screwed.

Comment

look on ebay,you can get a low mileage lump with 6 months warranty for about 700
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

He can have mine for £200!

Comment

took head of tonight piston nearest bulk head looks like its broken con rod as at bottom of barrel lots of oil also dont see any scoring

Comment

BUSHWHACKER you being serious any good

Comment

BUSHWHACKER you being serious any good

Yep, the engine was running fine before I took it out, I've fitted a Lexus V8 now.

The 2.4 engine has been fine for the four years since I've had it, it's done 96,000 kms. I think the head has been changed in the past, but I can't confirm this, although there is evidence that the head has been off or replaced at some point, probably by the previous UK owner, (I'm the second)but he has emigrated now!
                            I bought it as a part ex. from a prestiege car dealer who only had it for a week.

It's listed in the parts for sale section.

Comment

i am interested in the engine i have emailed my no

Comment

Working...
                              X