2nd Gen 4wd operation query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen 4wd operation query?

Hi guys, how are we all? good I hope. quick question for anyone who knows?

when driving on normal roads and 4wd is not engaged, will the front wheels still spin the transfer shaft through the front diff? basically what im asking is does the 4wd front & mid shaftery all spin even when 4wd isn't engaged?

or with the car in park and in 2H should I be able to turn the transfer shaft by hand?
    Biggus Truckus..

The way i understand it:

The wheels will turn the hubs and the outer part of the halfshaft. There is then a vacuum operated sliding collar, which is only engaged in 4wd.

The transfer case will only drive the front propshaft when 4wd is selected, in 2wd the front propshaft is dis-engaged from the transfer case.

So in park and 2wd, the front propshaft should be free to turn, as should anything upto the sliding collar on the halfshafts, but turning any one of these components will also turn the rest of them.

Hope that helps, if not try a search for ADD or Automatic Disconnecting Differential which shoul give you a proper explanation.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

ok..

hmm. ok, with the right wheel jacked up, the transfer shaft will turn but also turns the driveshaft / wheel.

with all 4 wheels down and in 2wd I cant turn the transfer shaft, as it's locked to the now grounded wheel.

I suppose what I need to know is:

is the front right hand driveshaft, driven by the wheel turning, supposed to back-spin the transfer shaft through the front diff in normal 2wd driving?

or is my transfer actuator stuck in?

theres been an ominous rhythmical grinding/rumbling which has gotten worse and im wondering if ive been driving around spinning all these front / mid shafts when theyre not supposed to have been spinning at speed etc, and damaged bearings in the diff, transfer case or something

he noise also gets worse when turning left, thus putting the weight onto the right hand front wheel, and im buggered if i can see anything wrong with bearings, brakes, driveshafts,it all looks ok.

its very odd.
      Biggus Truckus..

Comment

somethings not right, with all 4 wheels on the ground in 2wd and park you should definately be able to turn the front propshaft by hand. I would check any vac pipes in that area to make sure they're not loose or perished, and also electrical plugs other than that you'll have to wait for one of the experts
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

ok thanks, thats kind of what I thought, I'm sure I remember being able to turn that shaft with all wheels down a while ago, when I was first trying to get it working properly.
          Biggus Truckus..

Comment

Originally posted by kevsta
            or is my transfer actuator stuck in?
            That's where I'd be looking.

Nev

Comment

Working...
            X