another poomobile weird one!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another poomobile weird one!!

when i am driving along , i can hear the auxillary electric fan cutting in.whilst it is running,i have noted that the viscous fan is running and appears to be cooling(it makes a hell of a draft) ,i am not using any water,the temp goes up to half way on the guage and stays there,i have lovely hot air from the heaters,and also suffer no rise in tempereature if i switch the heater control over to cold.i have noticed that occasinally the temp guage flickers,from half way to nothing then back really quickly.i am confident that the cooling is okay(have just spent the weekend climbing mountains in it),but it seems that i have some sort of issue

any ideas?
    Non intercooled nothing.

Me Too

I have the exact same thing. Don't worry about it. It's a good thing for the fan to kick in before any serious overheating. Most likely the auto box getting hot. I had one cook on me before.
    I've got a replacement box and on steep hills fan comes on....Even though all heat shields are in place to protect the box from exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
      i have noticed that occasinally the temp guage flickers,from half way to nothing then back really quickly.i am confident that the cooling is okay(have just spent the weekend climbing mountains in it),but it seems that i have some sort of issue
      Loose connector on the Temp Gauge Sender or Instrument Panel????

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        Loose connector on the Temp Gauge Sender or Instrument Panel????

Nev
        have just noticed that the temp sender plug is very corroded.i have replaced the connecter and am running it up now.

stop press,

the temp sender unit has a new connector but there is a sender of some sort in front of the thermostat,this wire is also so corroded i just broke it,any ideas on this one
        cheers nev
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

have just noticed that the temp sender plug is very corroded.i have replaced the connecter and am running it up now.

stop press,

the temp sender unit has a new connector but there is a sender of some sort in front of the thermostat,this wire is also so corroded i just broke it,any ideas on this one
          cheers nev

result!!!!!!!

i just switched the ignition on, and the fan came on straight away.as soon as i turned the engine over and ran it the fan went off.i then just switched it off and went to the start position on the ignition and as the fan was running touched the broken wire on the sender,and the fan stopped turning.so it seems that the circuit is working,and it also seems that this may be a "fail safe" operation,ie the sender cannot send the right signal so assumes over temp and switches the fan on

or am i being a bit over imaginative?

anyhows thanks guys minor problem solved

(it appears i did suffer some extremely minor damage in the welsh mountains)
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

touched the broken wire on the sender,and the fan stopped turning.so it seems that the circuit is working,and it also seems that this may be a "fail safe" operation,ie the sender cannot send the right signal so assumes over temp and switches the fan on

or am i being a bit over imaginative?
            The thermo switch is a normally closed to earth type. When the wire is disconnected this causes the system to be open circuit switching the fan on. Perfectly normal and probably a fail safe system as you say. Better for a fan to be on too often than not at all.

Nev

Comment

thanks nev,

much appreciated.roughtrax want 50 quid for a new one so i can feel a trip to the breakers near me coming on!!
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

thanks nev,

much appreciated.roughtrax want 50 quid for a new one so i can feel a trip to the breakers near me coming on!!
                That's expensive. Try sourcing a Tridon TFS115.

Info here -

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=TFS115

Nev

Comment

once again nev thanks very much
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Toyota will do an upgraded (all metal construction) fan sender switch for about £23. The original ones are made of chocolate.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

once again nev thanks very much

I've got a spare you can have in exchange for your address.

p.s. I just read that back and it sounds a bid suspect!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        I've got a spare you can have in exchange for your address.

p.s. I just read that back and it sounds a bid suspect!!!
                        only slightly suspect vince!!

thankyou,will pm you my address,please let me know postage cost and will attempt to paypal it!!
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X