speedo problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo problem

i ve just changed the dial on the speedo from kph to mph no problems with that part.....until i tried it on the road.
    travelling at 20mph (according to the dial ) my actual speed is 40mph is there any way of sorting this out b4 i get a ticket
    All work and no play

Has the truck already had a gearbox adapter to make the kpm speedo right in mph?

you may need to take it off if so, or put the old speedo face back!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Has the truck already had a gearbox adapter to make the kpm speedo right in mph?

you may need to take it off if so, or put the old speedo face back!
      Thanx tony but i dont think it has had any adapter, ive just taken it out on the road with the dash out and dials exposed (forgot to plug in hazard switch so had no indicaters...DOH!)
      Realigned needle and seems to be working ok now
      must be accurate cause the amount of people in front sticking to 30mph..
      All work and no play

Comment

Speedo adjustment

How did you realign the needle m8 as I have the same problem on mine, but the garage I bought The car from says they will have to change the the clocks. If I can realign it myself I will. Mine seems to run at 25 mph lower than the actual speed.
        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
          How did you realign the needle m8 as I have the same problem on mine, but the garage I bought The car from says they will have to change the the clocks. If I can realign it myself I will. Mine seems to run at 25 mph lower than the actual speed.
          I removed the needle leaving the small black plastic piece (what the needle sticks to) on the spindle of the speedo.Turn the center fully clockwise to its limit and then some more. This turns the black plastic piece on the spindle, loose it and let it go back down to zero. Position the needle back and see if its reading 0 mph if not ..keep adjusting, if too much just repeat but anti-clockwise.Eventually the needle should be reading 0 mph when spindle is fully anti-clockwise.
          What happens ( I THINK ) is when the needle is on its stop the actual speedo spindle is not fully home so you have to be travelling X Mph before it starts reading and thus throws everything out.
          I hope you can understand this, and hope you can sort your problem out.
          TIP...Put the display console back in without the perspex cover on, you can always put it back after its been set correctly. OH and you will have to reconnect the hazard switch or you get no indicaters as i found out.
          GOOD LUCK
          All work and no play

Comment

I had exactly the same problem, Just swapped the KPH plate for the MPH one but the new one didn't have the stop etc. It just took some fine adjustment to get it somewhere near. Its a pain but I've got mine within 3 or 4 MPH by following other cars on speed camera areas !! etc. and then taking the needle of and repositioning. If you want it cock on then yes spend hundreds of quid on GPS if you really think its necessary.

You don't need any sort of reduction gear box for the speedo drive unless you want your distance measured in Miles rather than Kilometers. Iv'e just left mine as kilometers and the speedo face is MPH.

Andy

Comment

Many thanks

I shall be striping the dash out tomorrow morning now I have your reply.
              The problem probably came about at the inporters who changed the clocks to MPH and re-chipped the odometer to miles. When I first took the car for a test drive the neddle was below the stop peg and bounced up and down irispective of speed, their answer was to refit the clocks with the needle in the correct side of the stop but now obviously not set correct.

Very many thanks

Fish

Comment

It Worked

Many Thanks guys, realigned the needle and it works great now.

Comment

Working...
                X