Absolute Beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute Beginner

I have bought myself a 92 2.4 Surf which I just love. But I have a couple of questions and I have absolutely no experience of diesel engines, 4*4's, etc.
    -My oil pressure guage fluctuates as i drive, is that normal?
    -I have read the faq's about 4wd, but I find it hard to shift from H4 to L4, -I have only tried while stationary, am I being a moron?
    -When i pull away the automatic gearbox feels like it clunks sometimes, again is that a worry? it doesn't always do it and it is quite subtle?
    -There are two dipsticks (i know.....sorry) I know one is the engine oil, what is the other one?
    -Finally ( for now) I bought a diesel additive to be added when i next fill up to "help clear the injection ports"....before i do anything stupid any thoughts?
    Any advice/info gratefully received.
    Mnay thanks

Originally posted by Sibeaddict
    I have bought myself a 92 2.4 Surf which I just love. But I have a couple of questions and I have absolutely no experience of diesel engines, 4*4's, etc.
    Yup.

-I have read the faq's about 4wd, but I find it hard to shift from H4 to L4, -I have only tried while stationary, am I being a moron?
    You sometimes need to be moving for all bits to line up and connect together, but ONLY on slipperey surfaces, never on the road.
    -When i pull away the automatic gearbox feels like it clunks sometimes, again is that a worry? it doesn't always do it and it is quite subtle?
    You'll always get a little slack in the drive train, could be worn UJ's, just check nothing is loose.
    -There are two dipsticks (i know.....sorry) I know one is the engine oil, what is the other one?
    Auto box oil.
    -Finally ( for now) I bought a diesel additive to be added when i next fill up to "help clear the injection ports"....before i do anything stupid any thoughts?
    Toss it in, usually good stuff.
    Mnay thanks
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Sibeaddict
      Mnay thanks
      Oil pressure will vary between idle and higher revs.Change oil and filter ASAP to be on the safe side.Don't forget the timing belt and air and fuel filters as well.
      Will leave the auto 4WD questions to others.
      Second dipstick is for auto.Check fluid condition and level.
      Injector cleaner is a good move.

Neville

Comment

Switching from H4 to L4, dont forget to to move gear lever to N first, then move the 'high/low' lever to required setting (4wd not for tarmac roads. If just to test it on tarmac, drive in a straight line only)

Comment

Working...
        X