High MPG on 2.4 TD???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High MPG on 2.4 TD???

I have just rebuilt my 2.4TD engine with new head, pistons, reground crank etc and it runs lovely. I bought it as a non runner, so am not familiar with the mpg figures, although it seems high. For instance, I put £30 of diesel in (just over half a tank)and went from work to home which is about 43 miles. I did this journey 3 times and it was just above empty. It seems to have a lot of black smoke on pull away( i do have the anti black smoke kit but hav'nt fitted it yet), but will this make much difference to the fuel consumption? Maybe its me but my last car was a Passat tdi with 50 mpg. Is there a way to turn down the richness on the pump so to speak? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by gkm24
    I have just rebuilt my 2.4TD engine with new head, pistons, reground crank etc and it runs lovely. I bought it as a non runner, so am not familiar with the mpg figures, although it seems high. For instance, I put £30 of diesel in (just over half a tank)and went from work to home which is about 43 miles. I did this journey 3 times and it was just above empty. It seems to have a lot of black smoke on pull away( i do have the anti black smoke kit but hav'nt fitted it yet), but will this make much difference to the fuel consumption? Maybe its me but my last car was a Passat tdi with 50 mpg. Is there a way to turn down the richness on the pump so to speak? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    129miles on £30 of diesel sounds about right. That's why we use veg oil.

Is your turbo working?

Comment

Yes, why not go for WVO conversion. I've just bought Surf and converted it to run on WVO - is running great. A site where I got a lot of help is vegiecars.com And related to your post, am getting about 9km/litre MPG???

Comment

Originally posted by gkm24
        Surfs are big, heavy trucks. Average for 2nd Gens is between 18 and 23mpg. Some are lucky and get a bit higher, but not much.

You're options are:

Live with the MPG
        Use Veg Oil, similar MPG but cheaper
        Drive like a granny
        Don't drive
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
          Surfs are big, heavy trucks. Average for 2nd Gens is between 18 and 23mpg. Some are lucky and get a bit higher, but not much.

You're options are:

Live with the MPG
          Use Veg Oil, similar MPG but cheaper
          Drive like a granny
          Don't drive

Or 60psi in the tyres!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Or 60psi in the tyres!
            Hmm, that would be interesting. Great mileage... then *POP*POP*POP*POP*
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Alternatively, stick helium in the tyres.

Comment

I put mine on a flatbed truck and the MPH is great.

Comment

Originally posted by MadcapMagician
                  Alternatively, stick helium in the tyres.
                  its argon they put in them now isnt it?
                  but helium would be a lot better.
                  just dont leave your spare unfixed to the car....
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by ifd66
                    Yes, why not go for WVO conversion. I've just bought Surf and converted it to run on WVO - is running great. A site where I got a lot of help is vegiecars.com And related to your post, am getting about 9km/litre MPG???
                    Thats roughly what I've been getting. I work it out at:

9Km/litre
                    4.55 litres/gall =
                    9 x 4.55 = 40.95Km/gall
                    = 26mpg.
                    Ian
                    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Remember to use the automatic box!
                      If you take the "Drive like a granny" option, get the revs to about 2300, then wait for the truck to speed up. Don't expect an instant reaction from a 2 tonne truck across a torque converter! Granny mode can get you up to about 28mpg.

For the black smoke, get her on a fairly steep long hill and rev the b***cks off. Getting the valves and bores nice and hot cleans them quite nicely!

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm
                        Remember to use the automatic box!
                        If you take the "Drive like a granny" option, get the revs to about 2300, then wait for the truck to speed up. Don't expect an instant reaction from a 2 tonne truck across a torque converter! Granny mode can get you up to about 28mpg.

For the black smoke, get her on a fairly steep long hill and rev the b***cks off. Getting the valves and bores nice and hot cleans them quite nicely!
                        if you try and keep the foot to the floor, but the revs about 2700 you get a really strong torgue feel. its really surprising but its no lamborghini
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X