Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air lock/ head gone?

2.4 diesel 93.
    Can anybody explain this? I have been told the head has gone but without going down the replacement path straight away I would like to be sure in my own mind that the head is knackered. Was on the way back from london and a couple of pals in the back seats who turned the heating on. The heating in the back had never been used up till then. About 15 miles later, steam was coming from under bonnet so stopped straight away. Transported home. Now when I put about 4 pints of water in from rad cap, start engine, almost straight away it will actually pump out via the pipe in the expansion tank at the rate the engine is turning. After 4pints it then turns to a steam coming out. Could it be the rad. pump, thermostat, rad cap, air blockage or anything else that could possibly cause this without it being a head problem. No water discharge through exhaust or into oil. The A.A. chap did a test and said he 'thought the gasket was faulty' but it was lashing down at the time and he was keen to get back into his van. Without the head being stripped I know it could be difficult to tell but if anybody has had a similar situation would be glad to hear from them.

there's plenty of people on here who have had similar situations, unfortunately most if not all have had to replace cracked heads. If you need to be sure for yourself then get the coolant tested for combustion gasses. When you replace the head get one from Stevo - someone'll be along with a link cos i can never remember it. Ebay heads will be prone to fail again.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

also the AA chap would of thought gasket , as the cracked head would be same symptoms in this case
      Grant

Comment

2.4 hilux

Originally posted by yungjamie
        2.4 diesel 93.
        Can anybody explain this? I have been told the head has gone but without going down the replacement path straight away I would like to be sure in my own mind that the head is knackered. Was on the way back from london and a couple of pals in the back seats who turned the heating on. The heating in the back had never been used up till then. About 15 miles later, steam was coming from under bonnet so stopped straight away. Transported home. Now when I put about 4 pints of water in from rad cap, start engine, almost straight away it will actually pump out via the pipe in the expansion tank at the rate the engine is turning. After 4pints it then turns to a steam coming out. Could it be the rad. pump, thermostat, rad cap, air blockage or anything else that could possibly cause this without it being a head problem. No water discharge through exhaust or into oil. The A.A. chap did a test and said he 'thought the gasket was faulty' but it was lashing down at the time and he was keen to get back into his van. Without the head being stripped I know it could be difficult to tell but if anybody has had a similar situation would be glad to hear from them.

exactly the same happened to me not the mates in the back though i think that was just a coincidence mine blew the top hose off radiator thought it was t-stat 2 weeks after changing it blew bottom hose on radiator to pieces so i removed head thinking it was gasket only to find to massive cracks accross top off pots 2 and 3 thats when i discovered the curse of the 2.4 hilux head is my first hilux and new nothing of head probs before this almost got her back together but have to keep looking on net for torque setting v clearance etc does no one make a manual for this damn machine

Comment

Originally posted by dirty fingernails
          but have to keep looking on net for torque setting v clearance etc does no one make a manual for this damn machine
          All that info is on here somewhere, if you do a search.

Comment

Working...
          X