Glow plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow plug question

I am not sure if my glow plugs are working correctly.

If its 5'C outside, the engine is cold, and the key is turned on - how long would you expect the glow plug light to stay on for before starting the engine? I only get about 4 seconds, and then it does start, but runs really rough for 15 seconds or so. Is this correct? I am not sure its going to start when its -10'C.

I normally wait at least 15 seconds to make sure the glowplugs are hot before starting the engine.

On our 2.4 diesels, there is a glowplug warning beeeeep that sounds about 10 seconds after switching on the ignition, does yours do this?

Comment

Yes it does beep. But if I am supposed to wait 10 seconds for the glow plugs, why would the light not stay on for that time? Typically when you turn any ignition on, all of the warning light come on because nothing is working properly (some go out shortly if they are simply showing they work - airbag light for example), I would assume that the warning beep goes off 10 seconds after turning the key on because it is trying to warn that an engine problem is occuring as nothing is normal (because its not running). I honestly don't think the warning beep has anything to do with glow plugs. If I have an overheating engine, I get the beep, does this mean my glow plugs have finished again? I don't think so. It really makes no sense.

Do the Land Cruisers do the same thing?

Comment

AFAIK, the beep that comes on 10-or-so seconds after you turn the ignition key is to tell you that the plugs are now hot.

If I turn the key fully before the beep, the beast doesn't always start first time; when I wait until the beep sounds, the truck starts first time, every time.

Comment

the beep has nothing to do with the plugs or engine warning systems, it's purely a warning that you've left your ignition on/ keys in ignition or something.

The plugs work in two phases, the initial heat and then an afterglow. The light illuminates only for the first phase, but the plugs continue to heat the fuel during the afterglow period, which typically ends around the same time as the beep starts. The fuel is at it's hottest at the end of the afterglow period.

You also hear a relay click at the same / similar time to the beep starting, this is the glowplug relay turning off. It's just easier to say wait for the beep than it is to explain this to everyone that asks.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Thanks

I thank you for the time you took to explain that. Now it can be copied and pasted for anyone that asks!

Comment

Hi Sky Diver

Is that Campbell River on Vancouver Island??
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

It sure is, I know of no wetter place with the same name....

Comment

Next spring I will be moving to naniamo(i dont know if its spelled like that)so if u wheel, we will have to go wheeling! i wanna move there mainly for the 4x4'ing and to leave the snow for awhile!
                  mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

I have a 4 runner and its my first diesel.

Have no buzzer and can't remember hearing relay click.

However from switching on the glow plug light can only be on for 2-3 secs (certainly nowhere near 10-15 secs) and up to now it seems the truck will start almost the same as a petrol engine ie ignition on, wait split second then starts.

I am assuming this is a good thing but is it detrimental to attempt to start this quickly before light goes out?

Comment

As long as it starts, you're fine. It's pretty hard to damage a diesel in normal use!

Comment

Working...
                      X