steering clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering clicks

the steering on my 94 surf 2.4 has started to click when you move the steering wheel backwards and forwards, any ideas?
    Phil

Originally posted by philsheff
    the steering on my 94 surf 2.4 has started to click when you move the steering wheel backwards and forwards, any ideas?
    Phil
    make that side to side

Comment

Could it be the direction indicator cancelling doohickey on the steering column?

Comment

clicking steering

its not the indicators, the noise is coming from under the bonnet somewhere down the steering column. Also steering feels notchy

Comment

Check the tension of the power steering belt and the fluid level.

Comment

Have you checked the power steering fluid levels?
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

ill check that in a while then get back, thanks

Comment

power steering fluid levels ok and belt ok, i have no idea now unless its the steering box, god i hope not
                Phil

Comment

power steering fluid levels ok and belt ok, i have no idea now unless its the steering box, god i hope not
                  Phil

Something else to check is the plastic cover that goes over the steering shaft universal joint. It's down near the alternator and it protects the joint. it may have moved up the shaft slightly and is rubbing on something.
                  Other than that, there isn't anything else that would make a 'clicking' sound really. It the power steering working smoothly, i.e. no notchy feeling as you turn the steering wheel?
                  Are the steering stops greased? (do a search, it's covered lots)

Comment

there is a notchy feeling when you turn the wheel, it feels like it happens when you have the front wheels in a straight line then turn the wheel from there

Comment

there is a notchy feeling when you turn the wheel, it feels like it happens when you have the front wheels in a straight line then turn the wheel from there

Sounds like a problem with the pump then. Is the fluid a nice red wine colour and not brown and burnt?

Here's a tutorial on the steering pump...
                      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/powersteering.htm

I have a pump off my 2.4 for sale if you need one. (I'm fitting a V8 that has a steering pump already attatched)

Comment

just had someone look at the truck and he seems to think its the UJ at the bottom of the steering column just before it goes into the steering box, im now having trouble locating one of those

Comment

Working...
                        X