Lock and Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock and Key

anyone have a diagram of how to change the barrel lock to fit an old key. I got the little pins out but is it a guessing game to put them in right for the other key?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by irishoffroad; 4 October 2007, 20:23.

no mate, you have to use a needle file on them, with all the pins in place , you put the key into the lock and using a small file you file the pins flush on the outside of the barrel, but when you pull the key back out they will spring in and out, now put the key back in and they should go flush again, and voila, your new barrel now matches the old key
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

to refit it to the old handle, you put the key in the barrel to make it flush again, now slide it into the handle and put the retaining clip on to hold it in place, refit the rest of the mechanism and fit it back on the car.

hope that helps

Comment

That file is a great idea but will it not increase the chances of other keys fitting the door as they will be shorter?

Comment

it will yes, but its the only way to do it, other than buying a new lock with a new key, or buying brand new pins and fitting them to the old lock barrel.

Comment

I just thought of something else that I will try later today. I still have the old barrel so maybe I can put the pins from that one into the new lock cos they should be the right size. I thought of that when I was drunk last night

Comment

superb idea, i didnt suggest it as i thought you said the old lock was damaged so i thought the pins would be knackered

Comment

Well i got the lock in and it works great. I changed the handle too so all new. I used all the pins from the two locks but only 2 of the 14 pins fitted good and I tried every one in every slot. Some were really close to fitting so I just sanded them down a bit with a random orbital sander and a pliers to hold them so my fingers wouldn't get shortened.

Comment

Working...
                X