intercooler pipework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intercooler pipework

Just remind me; why do we have to use mega-expensive silicon pipework for our intercoolers. I know you can get it in pretty colours, but I bought an intercooler off a Vauxhall Carlton (BMW engine i was told) it was a very nice aluminium die casting and cost me £20. But. it cane with lots of what looked like plain black rubbery hosing which had connected it to the turbo and engine. Now it can't be temperature as one of the othe threads says that the outlet from the turbo only reaches 50'C, well within the range of "ordinary" hoses, it can't be pressure as "ordinary" rad hose stands 1bar or 15psi before the cap blows.
    Is it some sort of snobbery????
    ps I bought it for my last intercooler fit and it cost me nearly a ton vastly more than the intercooler!

It all depends on where the intercooler is mounted, and what hose sizes are available. The oulet on the turbo is a different diameter to the throttle body, plus the intercooler spouts may different again.
    The main reason people fit silicone hoses is that they are available in a wide range of sizes, angles, diamters, lengths and colours.

but mainly for the 'bling'!

Comment

Working...
    X