Gearbox Oil Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Oil Seal

the other week drove to a dog show, 3hr motorway journey, When arrived ther was oil sprayed all up the back of the Surf and all underneath checked oil levels and all showed normal. After the show had to chance getting home, so drove carefully home, but 10mins from home the gearbox went on me somehow managed to crawl home but dreaded stopping at junctions or roundabouts as it wouldn't pull away, or would suddenly lurch forward. When I got home I checked the ATF level and it was bone dry! Luckily when it was topped up again, there was no damage done. Called mechanic and he found the leak eventually, he says it's the seal that has gone, but cannot find a seal to replace it. I have looked on Milners/Roughtrax etc, and they only have the diff flange seal, the rear transfer box seal and the front output shaft seal for transfer box....mechanic says it's none of them it's the front output shaft seal for the gearbox, goes between the gearbox bellhousing and flywheel...to the torque converter does this mean anything to anyone...does it exist?lol!
    trying to avoid going through Toyota dealers, but having no joy finding the correct seal.
    Also....been having a problem for a few weeks with the Surf over revving, especially while idling, and while waiting at junctions, as tho it wants to pull away on it's own even with foot firmly on the brake On starting up, revs would ride high, then eventually come down. Engine check light has been coming on, engine gets noisier, then it calms down again. Mechanic said he thought it was a wiring problem. I thought it was to do with fuel injectors or something. Today I did the codes test and it showed code 4, water temperature sensor. Having read that this sensor helps decide the amount of fuel to supply to engine, it makes sense. sounds like sometimes it's sending to much fuel and it over revs, then other times not enough and it's sluggish. I thought the problem with the over revving and check light was connected to the oil leak, but obviously not.....or could it be all connected in someway?
    any advice gratefully accepted!
    Debbie

All i can really say about this is, when i had to change my front output seal, toyota supplied me with two off there parts numbers and none fit. Milners were the boys. Have you phoned them to ask if they know of anywhere?
    I aint too hot on autos, but there must be a seal in there.
    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Working...
    X