Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappet Shim Replacement

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum as I have just bought a Toyota Hilux Surf last weekend for the first time. Got to say I am loving it.

I like to maintain my own cars so there are plenty of things I wish to do to bring this vehicle up to good (better) working order.

Firstly it is a 2.4 TD 1993 model. Am I right in thinking this is the 2LT engine? Anyway, it taps quite a bit, especially on the motorway, so I want to check and if necessary change the shims to quieten it down a bit as its not right at the mo. My only question regarding this really is where can I get the tool I need to compress the valve spring so the shims can be removed without taking the cam out?

If this is too expensive though I might as well go the whole hog and get the cam out and replace other things at the same time, belts, pulleys etc. but for a quick job it would be nice to just have the tool...or even borrow one??

Another question, perhaps daft, but can you buy disposable tubes of grease with the right fitting on the end for the grease nipples on the various joints instead of having to buy a proper grease gun? (although these are quite cheap aren't they?) If I do buy a grease gun of some kind, what is the fitting I should be checking it has on the end?

This will do for starters...cheers very much in advance!

Jon

Originally posted by JonReynolds
    Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum as I have just bought a Toyota Hilux Surf last weekend for the first time. Got to say I am loving it.

I like to maintain my own cars so there are plenty of things I wish to do to bring this vehicle up to good (better) working order.

Firstly it is a 2.4 TD 1993 model. Am I right in thinking this is the 2LT engine? Anyway, it taps quite a bit, especially on the motorway, so I want to check and if necessary change the shims to quieten it down a bit as its not right at the mo. My only question regarding this really is where can I get the tool I need to compress the valve spring so the shims can be removed without taking the cam out?

If this is too expensive though I might as well go the whole hog and get the cam out and replace other things at the same time, belts, pulleys etc. but for a quick job it would be nice to just have the tool...or even borrow one??

Another question, perhaps daft, but can you buy disposable tubes of grease with the right fitting on the end for the grease nipples on the various joints instead of having to buy a proper grease gun? (although these are quite cheap aren't they?) If I do buy a grease gun of some kind, what is the fitting I should be checking it has on the end?

This will do for starters...cheers very much in advance!

Jon
    Hello n Welcome to the Mad house of splendifferous Surf Nuts of Tecknical
    No how !!!

I think ya Trucks likely to be a 2LTE (EFI)
    I got a Grease gun from me Greasemonkey days (NNT Normal Nipple Type) & it's got a flexible end.....

There's always a Payback .... Ya just don't see em Comin !!!!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
    X