1984 Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Engine Swap

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and own a 1984 surf. I've had it for 2 years and it has been very dependable with only routine maintenance required. The engine is getting a bit tired and the clutch a bit thin and I am tired of playing the which parts will work game. ( Just spent all day cutting and rewelding a hi-lux front exhaust section for it and can't seem to find a distributor cap)

Anyone know of a good dependable engine swap for a DIY type. I am a reasonably competant mechanic and don't mind having to make some mods. I will only be in the UK for another 18 months so don't want to sink huge amounts of money into it but do want something dependable and easy to get parts for.

Alernatively does anyone know of a good engineer, close to Suffolk, for a rebuild. I would do it myself but time is limited.

I know--kinda like wanting your cake and eating it to but any reccomendations would be appreciated. Would love to get in on a couple of green lanes at some point but only time will tell.

Have a look at this thread.
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=2961
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Thanks Koi. I thought they should fit but had heard different stories. Guess the search is on for a good engine or one I can build at my leisure. From reading the thread it sounds like maybe a flywheel or bellhousing swap is all I would have to do.

Thanks alot. Engine and new springs and maybe I'll hit some green lanes.

Comment

Hi Shawn, Your post said you couldn't find a distributor cap so you seem to have a gasoline-fueled engine?

If that is so please ignore the thread Koi mentioned as it is about swapping diesel engines. I dont really know what you would call a good dependable engine but the diesel engines are all expensive to buy and look after and none of them would be likely to fit into an '80's truck without a lot of work.

The petrol engine that made the 4Runner so popular in the USA was the 22RE but it is quite rare in the UK so you would still have difficulty finding parts unless you imported them from America. The UK equivalents of this are the 18R/20R which are very underpowered for a Surf and maybe what you already have anyway?
        Last edited by Elvz; 22 February 2004, 12:13.

Comment

Look at this,and it has a LPG conversion.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=10428

Comment

Working...
          X