Cracked Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Block?

A friend of a friend, Phil, has a 2.4 that is giving him some problems. He had the head done a few months back, and still has a few overheating problems. He's had the new head off and refitted, and if anything the problem has gotten worse. He's had a word with the guy who sold him the head (a guy known as Hilux Bob, but not our own Hilux Bob from Liverpool, he's the same guy I bought my new head for my 2.4 off, nice guy - seems honest) and he reckons that it's a cracked engine block. I've never heard of such a thing, so thought I'd run it past the experts before Phil starts to spend even more silly money.

When it first overheated after the new head was fitted I had a quick look over it and it seemed OK. I did a quick 'burp' check, and it seemed alright but still overheated again shortly afterwards.

Over to you lot!
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Cracked block is rare.

My truck recently overheated due to a failed radiator - ahhh the joys of The Plain!!!

Gave out all the symptoms of a head gone. Sniffer check said NON.

Twas the rad.

Get him to have the cooling system pressure tested - thats what revealed my failed radiator. When it was being tested with the cap off there was no pressure hence no leak. Add some pressure and hey presto.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I've had one that had a knackered block, it had 2 heads on it, first a ebay one, second a stevo one, still emptied all its water out, we decided it must be block issues and got a used motor that was worse than the first!! Our 'warrenteed' jap scoured 30,000 miles motor had bad big end knock and a cracked head!!

We got another motor off them, stripped it down to check it out, put the Stevo head on it and the truck was happy.

So it could easily be a block, if its get hot enough anything can crack, as long as you're sure it has a good head and isn't just losing water somewhere else (sniffer test will prove its a head/block issue)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        I've had one that had a knackered block, it had 2 heads on it, first a ebay one, second a stevo one, still emptied all its water out, we decided it must be block issues and got a used motor that was worse than the first!! Our 'warrenteed' jap scoured 30,000 miles motor had bad big end knock and a cracked head!!

We got another motor off them, stripped it down to check it out, put the Stevo head on it and the truck was happy.

So it could easily be a block, if its get hot enough anything can crack, as long as you're sure it has a good head and isn't just losing water somewhere else (sniffer test will prove its a head/block issue)

A sniffer test kit cost me abut £30 from Fleabay, but I had the same problem with the missus truck when I put on her new head, that turned out to be the radiator blocked.
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Thanks all, I have passed on your advice.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
          X