Oil Filter 2.4TD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter 2.4TD

Wasted ages today, with the help of my ex-mechanic neighbor, trying to remove the oil filter from the engine bay, after it had been unscrewed. It wasn't until the fourth time I rolled under the car, that I noticed the removable plate, inside the o/s wheel arch, which can be removed to give unhindered acces to the oil filter.
    Just a tip to save any other spannerphobics a load of grief
    It's only a hobby!

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
    Wasted ages today, with the help of my ex-mechanic neighbor, trying to remove the oil filter from the engine bay, after it had been unscrewed. It wasn't until the fourth time I rolled under the car, that I noticed the removable plate, inside the o/s wheel arch, which can be removed to give unhindered acces to the oil filter.
    Just a tip to save any other spannerphobics a load of grief

Oh you should have asked
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Thanks mate!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Had the same problem myself! Drained the oil, managing to cover my forearm in nice hot, black oil all the way up to the elbow as I did so. Realised I wouldn't be able to get the old filter out before I attempted to remove it, tried a few different methods before deciding I needed advice.

Eventually legged it inside and posted a quick oily handed question on here and fortunately received an almost instant response. Armed with said information I returned to the surf for the promised "5 minute job".

Sadly though, couldn't get the fecking filter off after all that and after almost an hour of grunting, sweating and swearing I eventually had to concede defeat and fill her up with beautiful clean oil whilst leaving the manky old filter on there! Arse. £35 worth of oil quite literally down the drain! Not to mention the £3 or whatever it cost me for the totally useless oil filter wrench from Halfwits... I mean Halfords!

Gonna give it 'til 90k on the clock (about another 3000km) and then enlist the help of a friendly (?) local mechanic to get the filter off and fill her up again! Pain in the ass... never again!

Rob
        Rob

'92 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        "You Sir are drunk!"
        "Ahh yes Madam, but you are ugly and in the morning I shall be sober."
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
        X