Cylinder Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Heads

Having only owned a 92 2.4td surf for 5 weeks I am a bit worried about all the reports I have read about cracked cylinder heads.
    Is there a common reason for this and any way of avoiding it or is it just a design fault.
    Brian
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORK FULLTIME

Originally posted by brian3315
    Having only owned a 92 2.4td surf for 5 weeks I am a bit worried about all the reports I have read about cracked cylinder heads.
    Is there a common reason for this and any way of avoiding it or is it just a design fault.
    Brian
    As far as can be known it was a design fault as there was a local service recall in Japan for the early Surfs. As far as i know it was something to do with the configuration of the waterways within the head, the newer heads are now different. Not sure of the exact ages of the Surfs recalled.
    I also think it is alot to do with the stop start sitting in traffic driving in Japan thats put extra heat/strain on the head combined with the coolant they use. You can do a coolant flush and put some decent stuff in.
    I had mine one week short of a year and the head went, others a couple of weeks to a few months. I personally think the heads are shot when we get them over here and its just a matter of time til it shows up.
    But then others have had theres for years and not had a problem so i think its the luck of the draw, it seems worse than it is because people always talk about the bad things that go wrong so it seems this topic is worse than it is.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Not sure why it happens. Had mine flushed and a new stat fitted when imported then the head went 3 months later. Cost £1700 to sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        I had mine one week short of a year and the head went, others a couple of weeks to a few months. I personally think the heads are shot when we get them over here and its just a matter of time til it shows up.
        But then others have had theres for years and not had a problem so i think its the luck of the draw, it seems worse than it is because people always talk about the bad things that go wrong so it seems this topic is worse than it is.
        Yours dosn't count as a regular H/D failure, yours was cos you think the power band starts at the red bit on the tacho.

Hi mate!
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Yours dosn't count as a regular H/D failure, yours was cos you think the power band starts at the red bit on the tacho.

Hi mate!
          I have sorted that now, bit of tippex and the red now starts at 8000rpm
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Working...
          X