Engine re-build (pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine re-build (pictures)

Here are some pics of my engine at various stages of recent re-build, coutesy of Stevo.
    NOTE: Smaller versions now lower in thread.
    Pete
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; 20 February 2004, 22:57.

Nice pics pete General anaesthetic major op stuff.
    Do you have to take it back to steve to have head bolts re-torqued
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Impressive!

That looks like the work of someone who knows what he is doing. Mightily impressed. I just wish that there was someone down here in Bristol that I could trust to work on my Surf, it would be worth getting the job done properly.

Do I recall the cost as being around £1700? Considering that some places charge £2000+ to fit a new head this was a bargain.

I hope it goes as well as it looks!

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Nice pics pete General anaesthetic major op stuff.
        Do you have to take it back to steve to have head bolts re-torqued
        them days is over now marky, all stretch bolts on heads now
        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I believe the pictures are a little slow opening, so here's a smaller set.
          Attached Files

Comment

and i thought they were more too come
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

P1010026.jpg, question

I'm just in the middle of tearing my engine apart and have a question which hopefully you can help with, in the picture mentioned I can see that you have the oil filter off, behind which is a dirty big (around 36-38mm) nut, built onto the oil filter spigot, do I need to undo this to get the oil filter bracket/cooler off the side of the engine? Mine seems hung up on something and I reckon it's this shaft, answers on a postcard please!!

Cheers
              Pete
              Life is not a dress rehearsal
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
              (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

bolt

Originally posted by Pete The Tart
                I'm just in the middle of tearing my engine apart and have a question which hopefully you can help with, in the picture mentioned I can see that you have the oil filter off, behind which is a dirty big (around 36-38mm) nut, built onto the oil filter spigot, do I need to undo this to get the oil filter bracket/cooler off the side of the engine? Mine seems hung up on something and I reckon it's this shaft, answers on a postcard please!!

Cheers
                Pete

Yes Pete there is a 12mm bolt behind filter thread.
                Cheers Steve.

Comment

Cheers for that Pete, well got my engine apart to find.......yup, cracked head on pots 3+4, fortunately, over here a new head is only about NZ$800 and I've found a top chap who'll do the 'swap' for a measly $220 but then add to that around another $1200 worth of parts!! like mains, big ends, re-bore, pistons etc etc not forgetting a hooooge amount for the gasket set!!

Still I knew I was taking a punt on this one and after the rebuild my Surf should be good for another 200k+

Pics to follow in a few days
                  Life is not a dress rehearsal
                  1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
                  (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

Pete

Hi mate

Wish I had the money for that kind of work!

I have a quick question for you. Did the guy who rebuilt the engine also time the diesel pump? I only ask as I am having a heck of a job finding anyone that I can trust to do the job properly.

If you have a contact number for him then can you PM it to me, that way I can give him a bell and see whether it's worth making the journey. Maybe he can recommend someone nearer Bristol too?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
                    X