siezed clutch, help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siezed clutch, help needed

Hi folks, its yonks since I have posted on here so I apologise for my first post being a cry for help.

My 2.4 surf has been parked on my drive for 5 months not moving or starting or anything, (shame really) but I insured it on sunday and came to start it .(Flat battery)

But I fired first time when jumped.

Problem though, it wont go in gear and it had a blue point clutch fitted 200 miles before being parked up. There is a peddle there and I went to the garage and they said the clutch has probably siezed to the flywheel, especially during all the damp weather we have had. They told me to put it in gear and start it a few times and it would free off. I did this several times in first a reverse to the point it would fire up and drive either forwards or in reverse untill I applied the break and it would stall the engine. It has not freed off and the starter started to smoke with keep trying it, I disconnected the battery and let it cool off.

Does anybody have any other ideas on how to free the clutch off as I don't want to burn the starter out as it is new as well.

Cheers in advance folks

Dickspanner
    If it works ok then you need to modify it.

You can get it in and out of gear without stalling it. Start it in first then, when revs are up get the sped steady so you are neither accelerating or decelerating, then pull it out of first, and rest it on second pulling slightly, let revs drop slowly until it matches revs for speed, and lets it drop into second, likewise for the rest. When changing down, you need to rev up to match engine speed to road speed for change. That way you can go for a drive to free it off. If you have to stop (junctions etc) get into neutral well in advance, switch engine of when at line, then put in first and use starter again. Hard to explain but if you understand it may be a way to get everything warmed up and free'd
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I can get it going in first and drive it down the lanews near my house for miles without changing gear but I presume this would not free it off, it soulds like you say I have to keep slipping it in and out of gear while it is driving?

I will have another go tomorrow night and see if I can free it off, I am in need of the surf as I travel to and from work and need a car and can't keep using the misses car

cheers for advice, any other sugestions would be helpfull as well

Dickspanner
      If it works ok then you need to modify it.

Comment

Do as suggested but keep the cluch pedal down at all times . I have freed off several clutches like this before .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
        X