Crankcase Breather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha!

I thought that I had read somewhere on here that this could be the cause of a noisy engine and a low power output. The turbo is now working fine, but when pressing the accelarator pedal I get an awful lot of clattering (especially when cold) and absymal accelaration.

It gets marginally better on a warm engine, but uphill and overtaking...forget it!

It has to be a fuelling problem, so I am now looking at the best way of tracking it down.

Would you suggest checking the timing marks? It has never run properly since I bought it!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
      I thought that I had read somewhere on here that this could be the cause of a noisy engine and a low power output. The turbo is now working fine, but when pressing the accelarator pedal I get an awful lot of clattering (especially when cold) and absymal accelaration.

It gets marginally better on a warm engine, but uphill and overtaking...forget it!

It has to be a fuelling problem, so I am now looking at the best way of tracking it down.

Would you suggest checking the timing marks? It has never run properly since I bought it!

Cheers

Rob G
      yes check the timing marks first, make sure that all three marks on the timing cogs are correct, might also be worth getting the valve clearances checked, if they are to tight they wont be allowing enough diesel into the combustion chamber
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Aha! Part II

Yep, that was my next port of call.

I would happily let a garage look at it, but my experience with 'qualified technicians' is errr, slightly jaundiced, from previous dealings with cars and bikes.

The way I look at it, the fuel flow has to be causing the poor performance, and the valves may be adding to the clatter....at which point I will discover it's the small ends....just before I find the pieces of piston ring....lying next to the wobbly crank....that has destroyed the torque converter....that lunched the UJ'S on the driveshafts.

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

clattering

Originally posted by wibblywobbly

Cheers

Rob G
          Rob if the diesel pump timing is too advanced then you will get a heavy diesel knock ( clattering ) The diesel pump timing on the 2.4EFI unit cannot be adjusted without removing the bolt on the rear pump bracket then you can advance or retard as required, but then you cannot refit the bolt to anchor the pump because unlike most diesel pump's the rear bracket do's not have any adjusting slot. Either the pump timing is too advanced on the timing belt or the automatic advance control in the pump has a problem in itself or the ECU is giving the wrong signals.We havn't been able to find anyone in the UK that can test these EFI Diesel Pumps ( anyone know anybody ? ) Also we havn't been able to find anyone who can test the ECU. Check the timing marks first as its the easiest to start with. The timing marks can clearly be seen on the front view of ' Pete's ' engine rebuild pics.
          Cheers Steve

Comment

Yep !

Thats exactly what I have got, a noise like a bagful of spanners on the spin cycle. That was why I suspected the fuel pump timing.

I wasn't aware of the non-adjustability factor, so that's a bu**er!

At least it has saved me a job, I can try the timing marks and then start hunting down someone who can fix the pump, if need be.

I wonder if our Aussie friends have access to the data...they are nearer to Japan!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
            X