Hilux 2.4 turbo desiel engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux 2.4 turbo desiel engine

I have recently purchased a Hilux Surf. I found when I tried to remove the oil filter after draining the old oil I could not find a path to remove the detached filter from the engine bay.Can anyone enlighten me?
    Oldone.
    Still rolling and waving

Originally posted by Oldone
    I have recently purchased a Hilux Surf. I found when I tried to remove the oil filter after draining the old oil I could not find a path to remove the detached filter from the engine bay.Can anyone enlighten me?
    Oldone.
    Yes, there is a removable pannel under the right hand wing in line with the filter. I missed it the first time around.

Geoff.
    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Hi and welcome

The oil change can be a pain, or a breeze depending on how you go about it.

Take the Surf for a drive to warm the oil up, that way it will drain far easier.

Remove the oil filler thingy from the rocker cover, this lets the oil drain out easier as it prevents a vacuum in the crankcase.

Remove the sump bolt and drain the oil.

Replace the sump bolt.

There is a removable panel under the right hand wheel arch behind the tyre. It is held on by four bolts. Spray them with WD40 and remove the bolts, then swivel the cover out of the way.
      Then get some old foam backed carpet and cut it into two strips.
      Place one over the tyre.
      Place the other under the filter.
      Now remove the filter. Depending on what you have available the options are:
      Big pair of plumbers pliers, you can loosen the filter with these if you go in over the top.
      or
      A suitably sized oil filter wrench (the cup type that you turn with a half inch drive)
      or
      Stick a screwdriver through it and turn
      or
      Wrap sandpaper around it and try turning it by hand
      or
      Throw things at it and hope that one of them loosens it!

Then just spin it off. The carpet will soak up the drips, and stop your tyre getting covered while you withdraw it.

Now smear a thin film of oil around the rubber gasket on the new filter.
      Screw it on and tighten it as hard as you can by hand. It should not be clamped up using tools, as it just makes it harder to get off again!

Refill with oil (use diesel engine oil) up to the dipstick mark.
      Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to let the oil circulate.
      Take it for a short drive. This will prime the oil filter.
      Stop and let the engine cool down for 15 minutes.
      Top the oil back up to the dipstick mark.

Another job well done!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

your better off draining the oil into a deep bucket as it splashes everywhere as it hits a small bowl. use a strainer to catch the sump plug as it drops down
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Working...
        X