Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel jacking points

Hi all,
    I'm about to change the front brake pads on my 92, 2.4 Surf, where exactly are the jacking points?, the side rails of the chassis are out of the question as my jack won't extend that high, I've read that some members have used the front cross member. A picture of where to place the jack would be brill.

defo under the front cross member.on mine I jack up just under where the bash plate is 'bolted' into the crossmember
    Gaz

Comment

Depending on why I'm jacking the car up, I either jack from the cross-member or under the wishbone. Changing tyres etc, I tend to jack from under the wishbone, as it's quicker what with not having the suspension uncompressing.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
        Depending on why I'm jacking the car up, I either jack from the cross-member or under the wishbone. Changing tyres etc, I tend to jack from under the wishbone, as it's quicker what with not having the suspension uncompressing.
        SNAP! anywere else is a pain.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

word to the wise if you are changing pads then axle stand it i have had to beat calipers and pads free befor and suceeded in beating my car straight off the jack with very little force its vibration that causes it to move about
          !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Comment

We always do METAL on METAL is risky
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by drcrippen324
              word to the wise if you are changing pads then axle stand it i have had to beat calipers and pads free befor and suceeded in beating my car straight off the jack with very little force its vibration that causes it to move about
              Good advise. Any time the car is up for longer than it takes to remove a wheel, and put another one back, I put axle stands under it.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Yeah, i did my brake pads about a month ago. I would of used axel stands but dont have any. so used my standard bottle jack, placed under the wishbone. Not the safest way, but worked a treat. But if you are going to do it that way, make sure you keep a close eye on the jack.

Comment

saying that, i had my car up in the air on a 2-poster ramp. and after i did the service i let it down, but although i tried to let it gradually it went a bit quick, and the block of wood under one of the 4 arms split and the car slipped off that point. i walked round to take a look thinking it was on the sidestep now and it was about an inch away from touching it, but the end of the arm that had the wood on was sitting on some thin metal on the chassis, about the width of a penny.
                  i ran back round and let it down quick. no damage whatsoever. im surprised it didnt slip all the way off. if it was metal on the end of the arm and not rubber then it would of fallen off for sure.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                  X