My Cylinder head has gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cylinder head has gone

Oh Well no point dwelling on it. Guess the first thing is to work out if it is worth doing first. 1991 2.4 manual Surf how much would it be worth in average condition and how much is it worth sold in pieces?
    Next thing is fit a second hand engine or change the head which is best ?
    and last of all if I buy a head what to watch out for, quite a few on EBay also head gasket sets. thanks

Originally posted by goodjazz
    Oh Well no point dwelling on it. Guess the first thing is to work out if it is worth doing first. 1991 2.4 manual Surf how much would it be
    worth in average condition and how much is it worth sold in pieces?
    and last of all if I buy a head what to watch out for, quite a few on EBay also head gasket sets. thanks
    Replace the head and it will be sorted but don't buy one off Ebay, get in touch with Stevo on here.
    Your truck is a manual so worth a bit more than an auto as they're more rare.

Comment

Head on mine went. Had it replaced and glad I did. Would hate to be surfless!!
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I bought a head from ebay (chinesse copy) its working fine. Had some trouble with the head bolts and gasket bought from ebay though.

Comment

Originally posted by splasher
          I bought a head from ebay (chinesse copy) its working fine. Had some trouble with the head bolts and gasket bought from ebay though.
          Did you have to hammer the bolts past all of the metal flash in the cylinder head bolt holes I thought the gaskets were graded to piston crown height so wondered how they had these one size fits all kits?

I will cost it up and go from there how about a 3.0 conversion ? must be a few threads on that one

Comment

Did you have to hammer the bolts past all of the metal flash in the cylinder head bolt holes I thought the gaskets were graded to piston crown height so wondered how they had these one size fits all kits?

I will cost it up and go from there how about a 3.0 conversion ? must be a few threads on that one
            there is too much work involved in putting in the 3.0l as you need all the wire loom and ecu.You would be better going the v8 route if your on about doing a engine swap like that
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              there is too much work involved in putting in the 3.0l as you need all the wire loom and ecu.You would be better going the v8 route if your on about doing a engine swap like that
              There are many wires between the engine and ECU for all of the sensors etc but only a few earths and lives to the ECU from the vehicle.

Its being able to get the loom ECU Engine Etc for the right money.

Do you know if the gearbox is the same

Comment

Theres quite a few of us now who have had this problem, We have bitten the Bullet & had it replaced MONEY WELL SPENT i'd say
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Oh Well no point dwelling on it. Guess the first thing is to work out if it is worth doing first. 1991 2.4 manual Surf how much would it be worth in average condition and how much is it worth sold in pieces?
                  I would recommend steveo (and have done lots of times) nevermind getting a proper later type head (which seems to solve the cracking problems) his customer service is bar none!

go.... buy a new head.... you know you want to
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Theres quite a few of us now who have had this problem, We have bitten the Bullet & had it replaced MONEY WELL SPENT i'd say
                    Well I have got to say I am leaning towards a new head can anyone PM me a price for a modified head.

The truck does now need a rear exhaust and battery and seats (Bad Dogs ) and clutch and radiator and rear bumper ends but it does not all need doing at once.
                    Well that leaky radiator does I blame it for the head trouble

Total spend for three years motoring so far
                    Cambelt £35 Oil change £30, Fuel pump gaskets £12
                    Not bad as its being on three Dorset camping holidays, skiing in Scotland, up and back to the midlands once a week for a year and local work . Must change the oil more often.
                    Last edited by goodjazz; 6 July 2007, 00:16.

Comment

Stevo - Stockport Engine Co

TonyN - 4x4Toys

Both are members on here. Both also on hols at the moment.

Comment

Go the head-route from Stevo. Dont buy a secondhand engine (unless you can hear it running!). it will be tired and you can take it back but you have to pay the labour three times. New-head= peace of mind.