veg oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by max6674
    Have you tried new glow plugs to stop the lumpyness when you first start up ?

Just asking as I have some new ones in the boot which have been there for 6 weeks, another one of those "will do it tomorrow" jobs. I have a feeling it may cure some of the lumpy issues..

Does yours have the winter pack on Tony?
    The new glow-plugs will help but the issue may be more with the viscosity of the oil before the injectors ie. fuel starvation due to filter and filter-line clogging. The lumpiness has been eliminated with the addition of an 200w electric filter heater in my case!
    cheers,
    chris
    Powered by Toyota!

Comment

by winter pack you mean two batteries and some other stuff? i may have a fuel heater already installed from the factory - there is a box with fuel heater on it that houses some relays or fuses but ive not looked underneath to see if i have one.

how much are 4 glow plugs? i probably do need them, because i remember when i first got the surf in febuary when on normal diesel, if i only wait for the orange light to go out and then start it - it will start fine but i will get a couple of misses. after about 5 - 10 seconds it will stay fine.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Please excuse my thickness

Can I confirm that I can throw in a 50/50 mix of veg oil / diesel

straight into my 2.4 diesel Surf without any MODS?

What do you need to watch out for also.

Do you still need to register with Customs or has the new system come in which means you do not need to pay duty (Max useage limit - xxx litres)

Cheers again

Taz

Comment

Originally posted by Telaren
          Please excuse my thickness

Can I confirm that I can throw in a 50/50 mix of veg oil / diesel

straight into my 2.4 diesel Surf without any MODS?

What do you need to watch out for also.

Do you still need to register with Customs or has the new system come in which means you do not need to pay duty (Max useage limit - xxx litres)

Cheers again

Taz
          just buy and pour in the tank
          no you don't need to register or pay duty but need to keep a record of usage for 6years
          some people get a leak from the fuel pump but that can be sorted at a reasonable price

also have a new fuel filter at hand as the svo can loosen the crud in the tank and block the filter
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
            how much are 4 glow plugs? i probably do need them, because i remember when i first got the surf in febuary when on normal diesel, if i only wait for the orange light to go out and then start it - it will start fine but i will get a couple of misses. after about 5 - 10 seconds it will stay fine.
            Give her two beeps during winter. Don't just start her up when the glowplug light goes off.

Comment

i have got mine on a 25/75 mix, and it was alot harder to start today. My glowplugs need changing though. It started much better on a 50/50 mix
              What comes around goes around!!

Comment

how do you mean hard to start?
                if its turning and turning and not starting for a good while then that cannot be a good sign..
                if it starts and just miss fires a few times its not the end of the world.. just let it warm up before driving off. ive found that if you wait for the glow plugs to stop heating (you will know because a relay will click and the engine will pick up very slightly) then drive off slowly eg dont go above 2000rpm the car is fine.. but if i let it idle after the plugs stop heating about another 30 seconds and ill get a chuff or two coming back.
                i think the heat needed to ignite the veg oil is more than the heat given off by the fuel at that engine speed with that amount of air. therefore i think the veg oil is decreasing the temperature of the glow plugs slightly.
                but i may need new plugs.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

The mix is too high for the old glow plugs. I am going to fit new set asap. It is a good starter, but has always had a couple pots not up heat due to old plugs, though still started ok. I know its a fuel heating problem.
                  What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Veg

Just to let people know i have a 3rd gen surf and have been running 100% veg oil for a year now, its the ssrg model with the winter pack so i get the heated fuel filter which helps i think, and todate i have not had any problems with the truck other than in the winter it takes a little longer to start and runs a bit lumpy on tick over for the first few minutes.

Cheers
                    Nut in a Truck

Comment

im really considering the veg oil option ,ive red into it a lot and think i will give it a go ..but ,does anyone know where i could purchase veg oil at discount prices in northern ireland ??

Comment

Originally posted by gjay
                        im really considering the veg oil option ,ive red into it a lot and think i will give it a go ..but ,does anyone know where i could purchase veg oil at discount prices in northern ireland ??
                        got any cash n carries up there?
                        cheapest ive found is the 20 litre bottles that are held in cardboard boxes. its going up in price a bit, but still cheaper than red. about 49p per litre. also the very large cap, and soft plastic make it easy to pour with a big funnell.
                        otherwise tescos or asdas do 15litres of the same kind.. get rapeseed oil at 15 litres and its cheaper than veg oil. cant remember price but for 15 its about £8.50 ish
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                          got any cash n carries up there?
                          cheapest ive found is the 20 litre bottles that are held in cardboard boxes. its going up in price a bit, but still cheaper than red. about 49p per litre. also the very large cap, and soft plastic make it easy to pour with a big funnell.
                          otherwise tescos or asdas do 15litres of the same kind.. get rapeseed oil at 15 litres and its cheaper than veg oil. cant remember price but for 15 its about £8.50 ish

£9.57 for the 20L in the box out of Booker. Rapeseed is £13.09 out the same place. I just done near 600 miles wound trip in the last 2 days and used just over 50/50 mix. never missed a beat. I have also used £10 fuel and 20L oil with no effect apart from the idle first thing in the morning but use the idle up switch and runs fine.

Mark
                          Lean Green Veggie Machine

Comment

Originally posted by fatmat
                            Just to let people know i have a 3rd gen surf and have been running 100% veg oil for a year now, its the ssrg model with the winter pack so i get the heated fuel filter which helps i think, and todate i have not had any problems with the truck other than in the winter it takes a little longer to start and runs a bit lumpy on tick over for the first few minutes.

Cheers
                            Is the winter pack on a SSR-G an extra or standard?

How do you check if you have one fitted?

Cheers Taz

Comment

im now using 40litres veg and about 10-15 litres diesel.

im not sure about the winter pack either.. who can tell us?
                              i have a rear heater, 2 batteries but no fuel heater -i looked under the relay cover in the engine bay and there was no relay or wiring
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

We need an outlet Thread as per prices, Most of us cant use CASH & CARRY as we have no account etc.
                                TESCO
                                ASDA
                                SAINSBURYS
                                MACRO
                                BOOKER
                                etc
                                etc
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...