engine swap/smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap/smoke

just changed engine 2.4 ssr-x 1992 black smoke on start up and a little knocky.spoke to suppliers who say change injectors or re-time diesel pump,are they correct to say this?

Originally posted by freeman
    just changed engine 2.4 ssr-x 1992 black smoke on start up and a little knocky.spoke to suppliers who say change injectors or re-time diesel pump,are they correct to say this?
    Maybe.

If the rattling sounds like pre-ignition on a Petrol engine then the timing is too far advanced. This shouldn't make it smoky as the fuel has longer to burn before the exhaust valves open but then It might just. Out of time diesel pumps do cause smoke.

I'd pull off the timing belt cover and check that you aren't a tooth out on the belt.

Injectors being worn or dirty will definately cause smokiness on startup and acceleration. Try a bottle of Redex in a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Was it a new engine or recon. If the knock isn't from the top end then I'd take it back as they haven't done the bottom end bearing shells properly or at all. Also did they fit it or did you. If they fitted it then they should fix it.

In the end Diesels do smoke somewhat especially on startup and acceleration. If you don't leave the glow plugs to warm for long enough before starting then it will smoke tons and run like a bag of nails. You need to leave the glow plugs to work untill the buzzer sounds before starting. If I don't do that on mine it does a James Bond Smoke screen. If I leave it long enough, no smoke and runs perfect.

Cheers

Comment

Q for Lucky - So can I presume that although the little dash light that shows the heater coils as on goes out after 10 secs or so, if I leave the ingnition in the same on position the heaters are still heating yes? Sweet!
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Woodie
        Q for Lucky - So can I presume that although the little dash light that shows the heater coils as on goes out after 10 secs or so, if I leave the ingnition in the same on position the heaters are still heating yes? Sweet!

Not forever they won't.

To help cold starting diesel engines are equipped with a pre heating system, which comprimises of four glow plugs, a pre heat timer a dash mounted warning light, relays and timers.
        The glow plugs are positioned directly in line with the incoming spray of diesel, when the plugs are energised the diesel passing over them is heated to its optimum combustion temperature allowing easier starting.
        The length of the pre heating period is determined by the pre heating timer, which monitors the temperature of the engine via the water temperature sensors and alters the length of time accordingly.
        Pre heating is started when the ignition is turned on, the light goes out on the dash but the plugs continue to heat for a bit longer, until the engine is started. If the engine is then not started within a certain time the power to the plugs is cut, preventing batttery drain and plug burnout.
        After the engine has been started the plugs continue to heat the incoming diesel for a further period of time. This helps to improve cold fuel combustion whilst the engine is warming up, this improves cold running, which results in quieter, smoother running and reduced emmisions. Again this length of time is measured by the water temp sensors allowing the plugs to pre heat the fuel until the requires engine temperature is reached.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

You are most wise in the ways of deisel mechanics ObiWan Koi,
          I thank you for the enlightenment upgrade!
          Cheers.
          ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Working...
          X